Computer Freezing at random intervals, now got worse

I recently posted this on r/techsupport, I was wondering if you guys could give me any help.
Here it is from the top:

I recently got a new computer case, and moved all my current parts to the new case. All that went fine nothing was damaged until I booted it up and it had some issues. The aspect ratio was staying at like 640x480, but it would still display at 1366x768 so through a huge slew of different attempted solutions including resetting the CMOS battery (we'll discuss that later) it ended up being the DVI cable being loose, because I'm an *****. (I have an old plasma screen TV that only has VGA, so I use VGA to DVI adapter. Don't ask why I'm still using it, it's a piece of trash).

So now, within all those aspect ratio/resolution problems, another came up. After resetting the CMOS battery (This Mobo has a jumper you move after taking battery out, wait a minute then move the jumper back and put the battery back) On start up, after the BIOS screen, I get the message "Not enough space in Runtime area!!. SMBIOS data will not be available. Press F1 to continue" It also lists other things like my specs and stuff which I'm assuming is irrelevant. Now, if I press F1 everything works fine. I continue to the OS, and I can operate normally. But now as of a day or two ago, my computer is now freezing at random intervals. No idea why. It freezes in a way that the OS just stops and I can't do anything, but the computer remains on, (fans, lights etc.) The most recent thing I did on the computer was install rocket league. Right now I'm trying to system restore back to before it was installed and see if that works, but again it keeps freezing so I'm gonna try my best.

Other than that, I have no idea why this is happening.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Specs:

16GB RAM (Not sure the brand at the moment but it's very new, I can give the brand upon request just gotta look)
AMD FX-4300
Apieva 1100w power supply
Toshiba 1TB hardrive
ASrock Motherboard (Not sure the actual model, again I'd have to do some searching. it's weird.)
XFX AMD R9 280x Black edition

Update: Booted up PC and it kept freezing as the OS was loading. Kept turning it off then back on until eventually windows had enough of it and brought me to the repair screen where I tried system restore. It froze during system restore so I turned it off and on again and it started automatic repair, and brought me to the repair screen again. Tried to just reset while keeping some of my files and then while it was doing its thing I believe it windows shut off my computer because it detected that the system froze again. After a few more tries it then froze at the BIOS loading screen so that makes me think it's a hardware issue. Any thoughts?

Update 2: Gave it a few minutes. It turned on with no signal. Then just shut off. Now it's getting worse. I turned it on, no signal and it wouldn't shut back off using the button I normally use to turn it on. Had to switch off power supply.

Update 3: Been an hour, still nothing. Thinking it's probably the motherboard being unresponsive

Update 4: Also probably worth mentioning while I was playing rocket league, my video driver kept crashing repeatedly. Probably about once or twice per hour. It would freeze for a bit, then recover. Nothing like what's happening now. I originally thought that the freezing was because I had an outdated video driver, and that was the result of RL crashing and the freezing issue. I updated it when I had more time between freezes. It did nothing.

1. loose connection confused setup
2. corrected loose connection(s?)

If it were mine, once I know hardware to be 'good', I would clear CMOS again and again reinstall OS following instruction in motherboard manual. I have been down the path before and every time I fail to go back to the beginning I have regretted it.

If it does not sort out, you may need the Motherboard model & version. If it is a UEFI issue, you may need to contact Asrock. (https://askleo.com/why-uefi/)

If it were mine, once I know hardware to be 'good', I would clear CMOS again and again reinstall OS following instruction in motherboard manual. I have been down the path before and every time I fail to go back to the beginning I have regretted it.

If it does not sort out, you may need the Motherboard model & version. If it is a UEFI issue, you may need to contact Asrock. (https://askleo.com/why-uefi/)

I'll check connections and make sure nothing is loose. I will then reset CMOS again. If anything changes I'll post another update. Thanks!

Okay, I checked loose connections. Everything is tight and secure. I reset the CMOS battery again and it did nothing. My motherboard model is ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX. I've had it for years. Could just be at the end of its life cycle?

Asrock advises:

"Please trouble shoot the mainboard with known good components.

• Unplug the ATX power, remove all components from mainboard.
• Remove the mainboard from chassis, place it on mainboard’s box. [or some other non-conductive surface]
• Clear the CMOS.
• Reseat the CPU and heatsink fan.
• Test with single memory module.
• Test with onboard video.
• Connect the monitor.
• Plug the 24 + 4 pins ATX power.
• Connect the chassis power switch to mainboard, and try again."

If you have done all that, then it may have ended on you. It is an older motherboard and the trail of crashes does not speak well for some component in there, but have you tried a known good PSU? or the IGP?

"Not enough space in Runtime area!!. SMBIOS data will not be available. Press F1 to continue" googled out to being a need to clear NVRAM - but it sounds like you have done that. However, this dumps you into the default settings in setup and there may be something which needs a tweak. Since you did a CMOS reset, you might want to go back over 'setup' in the motherboard manual, just to confirm you have it the way it should be.

Late thought: did you check voltage on CMOS battery...it is old enough to be failing.

Last edited:
Asrock advises:

"Please trouble shoot the mainboard with known good components.

• Unplug the ATX power, remove all components from mainboard.
• Remove the mainboard from chassis, place it on mainboard’s box. [or some other non-conductive surface]
• Clear the CMOS.
• Reseat the CPU and heatsink fan.
• Test with single memory module.
• Test with onboard video.
• Connect the monitor.
• Plug the 24 + 4 pins ATX power.
• Connect the chassis power switch to mainboard, and try again."

If you have done all that, then it may have ended on you. It is an older motherboard and the trail of crashes does not speak well for some component in there, but have you tried a known good PSU? or the IGP?

"Not enough space in Runtime area!!. SMBIOS data will not be available. Press F1 to continue" googled out to being a need to clear NVRAM - but it sounds like you have done that. However, this dumps you into the default settings in setup and there may be something which needs a tweak. Since you did a CMOS reset, you might want to go back over 'setup' in the motherboard manual, just to confirm you have it the way it should be.

Late thought: did you check voltage on CMOS battery...it is old enough to be failing.

I have a friend with a bunch of computer gadgets that can help me do this. I'll give him a call and follow the instructions you've given me, thank you! I will post back in a day or two once all of that is done with.

Back