Computer Freezing/Blanking out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. i have a really annoying problem.
up until a couple of weeks ago my computer was working great. i havent installed any hardware for a long long time..so its definitely not a new hardware problem. here's my problem
after running the computer for a while (amt of time is quite random) the screen will just freeze. or the screen will go blank and my monitor will show the "No Video Input" sign. when i reboot the computer, it will almost always say "CMOS/GVNP Bad Checksum" ..something like that.

after doing a little research i found out that its most likely the battery on my mobo. so i changed that. but it still happens. i didnt clear the CMOS after installing the new battery, but is that really necessary?

Thnx for the Help

Eugene

follow your manual to reset the cmos fully or take the battery out for something upwards of 10 minutes. you may benefit from a bios update...

you should leave the system running for awhile in your bios setup menu (overnight perhaps?) and see if your problem recurrs. if so, you've got a hardware problem on your hands.

Thanks for them replies!

looks like i definitely have a hardware problem!

i took the battery out, and cleared the CMOS. when i rebooted, the thing tells me CMOS battery low..which is definitely not the case since i just bought a new battery. so whatever, i left it at the CMOS configurations screen overnight to see if it works. when i got back from work, i rebooted and it my CMOS lost its memory again. i had to setup some things to get it running again.

but anyways, i took my vid card out and put my dad's ATI in..mine was also an ATI. i boot it up, and the PC freezes in XP within minutes of being loaded. so now i'm guessing that its the motherbrd problem. not to mention that when i put my dad's vid card in, my original keyboard no longer worked. and im using my brother's keyboard at the moment.

the only other cards i have in there are my wireless and my LAN card.

so chances are its the motherbrd rite?
...althought i havent had a second freeze on my dad's ATI yet. if it doesnt freeze again while using his ATI then i'm gonna be totally clueless.

ha! just after posting my last message. the screen blanked out within minutes. nothing i could do but reboot.

once again i got the CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad message again.

looks like the motherbrd rite? im almost sure its not the ram. i have 2 sticks in there. and i tried using both separately..but still the same problem.

based on the information given thus far, i'd say the motherboard is bad and needs to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back