Computer freezing/crashing, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer randomly locks up/freezes. Sometimes rarely, sometimes everytime I start up my PC.

I'm using:

Windows XP/SP2
Radeon 9800 Sapphire
Intel 2.4ghz
Alliance 450w power
MSI motherboard
Lots of flashy lights on the box

Seems that when I update the drivers on my Radeon it makes it even worse, tried rolling back too.

Thing is, I don't think i've ever removed old drivers. How do I go about doing this?

Also I probably need to update my motherboard drivers for my Intel and my Radeon. They have the drivers on the MSI website... but I don't know what drivers to run!

Could this also be a heat issue? My CPU heat is at 104F usually. I don't know how to tell how hot my video card is, but I have half of my case open so it gets great air flow.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I dont think it is heat issues. you said that your winxp freeze and crash..

Havent you still have a valid copy of Windows XP? Or perhaps a Windows XP Recovery CD? if you have a valid copy of winxp, you can try reinstall it or reformat it.

After that, go straight to Microsoft Update Center, download all of patches available, reboot.

Download Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (opinional)

Download Microsoft DirectX 9.0C, Reboot

Download MSI drivers, Reboot

Download ATI RADEON CATALYST DRIVERS, reboot

When all thing went accordly, Run the WINXP Restoration Point, set the point OR backup everything again in case your computer start screws up again.

Let us know if this dont works. Thanks.

Well I am using a valid copy, but only because my stupid roomate let me install his copy, and never registered his.

So I don't have the disk

:(

xbillynwhc said:
My computer randomly locks up/freezes. Sometimes rarely, sometimes everytime I start up my PC.

I'm using:

Windows XP/SP2
Radeon 9800 Sapphire
Intel 2.4ghz
Alliance 450w power
MSI motherboard
Lots of flashy lights on the box

Seems that when I update the drivers on my Radeon it makes it even worse, tried rolling back too.

Thing is, I don't think i've ever removed old drivers. How do I go about doing this?

Also I probably need to update my motherboard drivers for my Intel and my Radeon. They have the drivers on the MSI website... but I don't know what drivers to run!

Could this also be a heat issue? My CPU heat is at 104F usually. I don't know how to tell how hot my video card is, but I have half of my case open so it gets great air flow.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

I do not know a lot about Intel boards but my MB is not suppose to get above 96 degrees F. and so I would be suspicious there

I am sorry that i told you unclear, can you go to Microsoft Windows Updates Center website to get the drivers for your computer?

bushwhacker said:
I am sorry that i told you unclear, can you go to Microsoft Windows Updates Center website to get the drivers for your computer?

I think I fixed the problem.

I found 96 spyware when I used a different spyware finder other then adware.

Also I guess I had never updated my BIOS/motherboard/soundcard.

Deleted all old drivers for video card, and there were ALOT due to me trying to find a better driver.

Ran various virus programs, deleted all programs over 6 months old (like over 15 gigs) and defragged my PC, well with the windows defragger :(

I just ordered another stick of 512 :)

I couldn't get memtest86 to work, but if my computer acts up again, i'll try it.

Hello

Hello all I have a problem with my
P3 566Mhz
running 512 sdram
40gb maxtor HDD
MSI MS6368 ver5 motherboard
and I had to change my power supply b4
and now with the new one everything freezes when I try to install windows on the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back