Computer Freezing in Higher-End Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave:
I am not a Computer-Expert. Sorry if I miss out anything, can't comprehend something, or have posted this in the wrong section (I wasn't completely sure). :blush:

Ever since I have had my computer, it seems to have a problem playing higher-end games. However, the problem isn't the ammount of lag or low FPS, but rather the random freezing I get after playing games for, sometimes, a very short time.

I have had this problem with many games in the past, most of which I can't remember, but at the moment, I seem to have the most troubles with The Battle for Middle Earth II, and Counter-Strike: Source. I can play BFME2 for up to thirty minutes or five minutes when, all of a sudden, the computer freezes completely (Neither the keyboard or mouse respond, and I am forced to restart manually). This only seems to happen in certain games, because, for instance, Civilization IV never seems to freeze. Also, I don't remember my computer ever freezing outside of a game.

After I am forced to restart, I often check my BIOS to view the temperature of my computer. This doesn't seem to be the problem as I usually see temperatures below 50˚ Celcius (At last restart it was 46).

This is truly an annoying burden and I hope one of you can help me to find the solution to this problem.

Thank you for your time, and for you help in advance.
-Leo

P.S. My Specifications:

Owner: Leo Stewart
User: Leo
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Sunday 26 March 2006 at 21:13

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Asus A7V880

> Chipset : VIA KT880

> Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 2100 MHz

> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)

> Hard Disk : ST316082 (160 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T

> DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S

> DVD-Rom Drive : CM5171W IOF395F SCSI CdRom Device

> Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inchs

> Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (June 2005)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***** End of report *****

50 c is a bit high for an Athlon XP,

I would clean out the dust and reseat the heat sink, and reaply some theremale grease perferably Artic Sliver 5 on the cpu, wich this operation is a cheap one, and see what happenes.

Also make sure the fan on the heat sink is operating at normal speed when playing a game.

Best of Luck...

Hey, I have the EXACT same problem! BFME II crasches 20-40 minutes into the game. Counter strike works best, buts it also crasches. Even bfme 1 crashes. And i dont have any problems outside the games. Everything freezes up. Have to press the fun little reset button. ¤%"#%&.
I checked my RAM with memtest. No luck.
Tried removing one of my RAM sticks. Nope.
Checked temp. All good.
Reinstalled windows. Didnt help.
Tried every driver on the internet, for video AND audio. Same problem.
Some games works without ANY problem. Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory. King kong.

I dont get it. So if you fix your problem, with a new Power suply unit, or whatever, PLEASE let me know begore im going completely bald.

Thanks !!

wow, i have the exact same problem as well. Very annoying since i just built this machine, and it already dosent work... Iv tried warcraft3, C&C Generals, Freelancer, Legion Arena, AOE3, and counterstrike. The only one that dosent freeze is counterstrike. So far iv tryed the same things (temps, memtest, prime95, drivers etc.), and nothings worked. If that new power supply does the trick please tell me, i have a 420w here and im pretty sure that its enough. Also anything else to try would be nice, im getting kinda desperate here.

I also have such problems. To me it seems to happen to almost all full screen pc games. I got a new power supply but the problem still happens. Even after reformatting. I have the best nvidia drivers and everthing seems to be working fine, no freezing outside of games. Would love some help as I would love to finally fix this problem.

Yup, i used to get the same problem on my computer at home, i took the heatsink fan off, and put a vaccum cleaner to the heatsink lol. It cured the problem and now about 9 months later its still all working fine!

However, im at my girlfriends house now trying to play Oblivion and the same thing is happening, lol i was kinda naughty and took the case off and tried to clean it but they have a circular heatsink & fan and i dont know how to take them off lol, plus i dont have any fluid for the processor so i wont attempt it.

But yeh, does anyone know another way to get round it? lol coz i dont wanna screw this comp up!

Guy

ThEoNeAnDoNlY said:
Yup, i used to get the same problem on my computer at home, i took the heatsink fan off, and put a vaccum cleaner to the heatsink lol. It cured the problem and now about 9 months later its still all working fine!

However, im at my girlfriends house now trying to play Oblivion and the same thing is happening, lol i was kinda naughty and took the case off and tried to clean it but they have a circular heatsink & fan and i dont know how to take them off lol, plus i dont have any fluid for the processor so i wont attempt it.

But yeh, does anyone know another way to get round it? lol coz i dont wanna screw this comp up!

Guy

What do you mean by fluid? Also to clean a heat sink and the fan after it is removed from the motherboard is to run it under the sink. You can do this also with the fan still on to get the dust off it. Wipe it fairly and pop her back in.

Ah thanks, ill bear that in mind, i usually used a vaccum cleaner which, as you can imagine isnt exactly safe or efficient!

Thanks for the tip! i just wont forget to dry it off hehehe!

By fluid i meant the glue like substance that connects your heat sink to your processor, to make sure that the heat IS being transferred appropriately.

Thanks

Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back