Computer freezing/speakers squeeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.problem

OK, first off...this problem has been haunting me for a few months and im not sure what it could be. My computer works fine when browsing on the net, or playing music, but whenever I go into a game the computer freezes and the speakers will make a constant squeeling noice (sometimes they also repeat the sound that occured just before the crash....for instance, if there is a running noise, it will loop that same noise over and over again.) I dont know if it might be my sound card that is causing the problem or my hardware. Also one other piece of information that might help is, whenever I start my computer, just after it detects IDE drives, it says "Secondary IDE channel- no 80 conductor cable installed. I know this means that I dont have an 80 wire 40 pin cable installed, but i have replaced it twice now with rounded 80 wire cables. Could it be that my hard drive is not putting out the information fast enough and causing my computer to crash? My computer is not overheating and I meet all requirements. Prior to this I have been able to play CS: source, and Half life 2 flawlessly, no lag whatsoever. My system specifications are as follows:

Windows XP pro
AMD Athlon XP 2800
1 gig ram
Nvidia 256mb 6800gt graphic card
Sound blaster audigy 2 zs
seagate 80 gig hard drive

P.S. thank you for any help you can give.

well, that can be caused by lots, update all of your system's device drivers first off. you might have a bios issue, try to update that. i recall when i first got my current mobo a similar issue kept on happening, turned out i had a memory setting called cpc override turned on. turning it off fixed the problem instantly.

Same problem

I have a very similar problem, I have play Call of duty, doom3, pirates, morrowind, unreal tournament 2003, there a more games aswell but these are what i play most, and all thes games freaze after about 30 min or more of play and it will only freaze during game play which i thought at first would be a heating problem my cpu is fine and i cant find something to monitor my video cards heat, but i have heat sinks on the ram of my video card and a good fan on it so i would hope its ok its not over clocked either. I get the sound repeating it self as you said above. i also have a problem with the copmuter reseting at random times during abselutly anything.

A strange thing is i can play half life 2 and cs source and day of defeat (half life 1) with no problems i can play them for hours with it no freazing.

I built the comp myself and i have built many others but mine is the only comp that freazes druing these games.

I have just updated the bios and seeing if that will help anything.
some help or ideas would be very helpfull as it is realy anoying that the copmuter is very capable of running all the games at high lvl graphics with good fram rates.

i have not tried putting a good power supply in yet and it will be my next thing. some ideas please.

specs are
Windows xp
P4 2.8 800 fsb
gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 PRO motherboard
Saphire Radeon 9600 PRO
2x 256 Corsair matched pair
creative soub blaster live
case with 2 fans
all latest drivers of all hardware.

thanks in advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.