Computer freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman14

Hey there guys, Im in a need of help. After I've solved problems with your help (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122718.html and https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123368.html) everything worked fine. Then one day, I turn my PC on and it starts lagging. Later it just started freezing etc. Now, I noticed it freezes when I run a game, when my graphics cards controller startups are working and when I use my CD/DVD-Rom.

I decrease my BIOS Onboard Video Memory from 8MB to 4MB.
Tried decreasing the AGP to 4X on my Video cards controller.

I've been reading around on what could be the problem. Well, my CPU is fine, looking from the pic bellow.

speedfan.jpg

My specs:

1,25 GB or RAM.
Windows XP Pro SP3
ATI RADEON 9600 Graphics card.
2 Hard drives with enough disc space or anything.

That's about it, I hope you will help me fix this, cuz it is fustrating having all of these problems.

Could be the power supply. Could be the graphics card which could be related to the drivers or overheating. Could be quite a number of things really. Lowering the amount of memory the onboard video is using in the bios shouldnt change anything because it should be using the ATI 9600. Also lowering the AGP speed shouldn't make a difference.

Are you saying it is laggy all the time in Windows, and freezes completely in games?

My system showed signs of this when my graphics card overheated. Have you tried opening the case and checking the state of the fans on the graphcs card? The 9600 is a pretty old card - if you havent blown the dust out of the fan recently (a spraycan of air is best for that) that could be the problem.

In fact, open it and give it a clean anyway :)

I don't really know the power supply, but my graphics card doesn't have an extra one. Now, I am running my computer whilst the ATI card controller software is offline. I keep my case opened all the time now, I have blown the air out and even tried vacuuming the card from a safe distance(bad idea, i know). I have scanned for viruses with Dr.Web(The experienced scan) in safe mode. I now play Counter-Strike 1.6, it's laggy cuz the driver ain't updated and it sometimes randomly freezes, but I can play for a longer duration. Altough, when I try to play GTA it just freezes.

Yea, my graphics card is really old. The computer is 5 years old, but I cannot afford to change it at the moment. Anything else I can do?

Just an update. I forgot to mention that it also often freezes when booting at the Windows spash screen. I also performed a memory test with memtest and did 15 passes, no errors.

I can also get a graphics card soon, but I need to be sure that it is the problem? Any diagnostic software I can run on Safe mode or from a boot CD?

Please, I need this urgently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back