Computer Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My computer started freezing a couple of weeks ago while playing Need For Speed Most Wanted, naturally I assumed since it only did it then it was a possible graphics card overheating problem since it has done it occassionally during UT2004 as well.

So what I did was went out and got myself a Vantec PCI slot fan which I was told would help a lot.

I got that this weekend. Now all of a sudden the game still freezes (thankfully it doesn't decide to reboot the computer anymore like it used to) but also I noticed that 3 times yesterday I had left my computer alone not doing anything and when I got back it had frozen. It even froze overnight while I wasn't even doing anything on it.

Do u think it's still the graphics card overheating or do you think that maybe it's my CPU as well? Or do you think my computer just needs a good dusting? Cos I noticed there is dust inside.

Sorry if you think I am being a bit dumb here though. I just thought I should get some opinions before trying to mod stuff or buy some more fans when all it might be is dust.

Thanks guys :D

Please tell me what kind of video card you have.

It is very common for older cards to freeze up on games with heavy graphics acceleration (a problem I'm having now with BF2 :'(. )

You may need a new videocard,
also, to see if anything else is overheating, download speedfan (Google "speedfan")

and tell me the temperatures.

I am not home at the moment so can't tell u the temperatures until later but I have a GeForce 6600GT graphics card. The thing I don't get is why does it freeze when I am not even doing anything?

I have recently heard that I may be overloading my PSU. It is only a 350watt, and I have 2 hdd's, 1 gfx card, flashing lights, pci fan card, dvd writer. Could that be a possibility?

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Hey sry about the overheating, im having the exact same problems, guess what i have a 6600gt too,yay. Well the problem is, is that when im running(playing the game) its find it only freezes when im in the menu or customizing my car is that it freezes, seems wierd but its happening, i turned down the graphics and it was fine. so try to do that, and definitly clean ur computer cause that can happen. ttyl payce

SexyPopple said:
I have recently heard that I may be overloading my PSU. It is only a 350watt, and I have 2 hdd's, 1 gfx card, flashing lights, pci fan card, dvd writer. Could that be a possibility?

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Hi, that was certainly the case with me, though that doesn't seem too unreasonable an amount of stuff to run off 350w. Try disconnecting all your USB peripherals you have attached (printer, scanner gamepad etc) as they also draw power from the PSU.

I didn't have any peripherals attached. I took it in to the dealer I got it from and they said my CPU was overheating so they replaced the CPU fan and gave the computer a good cleaning. Seems to be working fine for now but I'll see in the morning if it's stuck or not. Thanks for the input though, I really appreciate it.

Freezing

I had this same problem with Guild Wars and later found out that my video card was not compatable with the game for some odd reason. That could be what is happening to you. It could also be caused by your RAM overheating which is the #1 cause of computer freezing. I would suggest putting heatsinks on all of your sticks of RAM or if you already have heatsinks on them get a fan that will mount over your RAM which should greatly decrease the temperature of your memory. Both options are very inexpensive and effective.

Thanks AJ9027, with my next pay I will definately get more heatsinks and stuff. Thanks for the suggestions. You guys have actually been really helpful and I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back