Computer fuctions properly, but monitor won't turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved my computer from one house to another and during the process something went wrong. I've been told it could be a motherboard issue or a videocard issue. My computer turns on and the videocard is working, but the monitor won't work. I've tried 2 different monitors with my current videocard, a GeForce 7800 gs Overclocked, my old videocard, and the integrated graphics and I get the same result with each. My monitor says "going to sleep" and shuts off instantly, my family's monitor simply says "Check monitor to cpu connection." I really can't figure this out and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go buy a new motherboard/processor unless I have to. Thanks in advance.

This is killing me. I've been disconnecting/reconnecting for hours and it does nothing. I've tried everything I can think to try, but I can't get a picture.

EDIT: Sorry about not merging the posts.

sounds like a MB issue too me but I would wait for some one else to commit before going out and buying a new MB.

Seems more to be a CPU issue. All the fans and junk start up, right?

It could be MB, though, and I think MB is more likely to be damaged during moving.

That could be it. I'm a damn ***** and didn't notice one of the metal protectors for the videocard slot had fallen out and was tumbling around in the case for the whole ride.

spacecataz428 said:
That could be it. I'm a damn ***** and didn't notice one of the metal protectors for the videocard slot had fallen out and was tumbling around in the case for the whole ride.

that made me laugh way too hard, that's my laugh i needed for the night. On that note goodnight

The videocard is in properly, though it is a little big for the case so it droops down. It has always been like that :/ I ran out of ideas so I tried kicking the case on the side with the mobo, but that didn't work. Guess my last resort is to bring it to a computer repair store >_<

Hi spacecataz428,
Sometimes computers will drive you out of your mind when things go wrong.
It will probably be the best thing to just bring it on down and let them fiddle around with it. Usually 99.9% of the time problems can be resolved here.
I remember moving once and a similar thing happened to me.
With the drooping down a little of the card is a little indicator that all of the contacts are not making it.
I hope things work out for you.. I know it is a bummer
Rick M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back