Computer grinding noise when starting up

newsman198

So when I started my computer this morning, it made a loud grinding noise so I immediately turned it off and check if any wires were blocking the fans. There were none so I started the computer again and the same grinding noise happened so I turned it off and removed the side to try to hear where the noise was coming from.

The third time I started the computer, there was no grinding noise. Windows said there was a start up failure and I did the Windows start up repair thing which did a system restore. The computer booted up fine and there seemed to be no problems. I put the side back on and my first suspect was a hard drive failure. I did a HDD diag and it found no bad sectors. My only other guess is a fans' bearings being worn down or something but the noise hasn't come back yet so I can't check which fan it might be. Anyone have any idea what else might have caused this noise?

I really hope that it's just a case fan that I can easily replace but knowing my luck, it won't be that simple.

Best thing to do is to disconnect 1 case fan at a time and see if the grinding noise stops. CPU fans are noted for this noise too, but obviously you can't disconnect these

Best thing to do is to disconnect 1 case fan at a time and see if the grinding noise stops. CPU fans are noted for this noise too, but obviously you can't disconnect these

The only problem is that the grinding hasn't happened again even after I shut down and started my computer again so I can't even pinpoint the source of the grinding.

Well, wait till it happens again. If it is a case fan, it will just freeze up and stop. If it is a CPU fan, the computer will freeze up and shut down

Well, wait till it happens again. If it is a case fan, it will just freeze up and stop. If it is a CPU fan, the computer will freeze up and shut down

Well I guess I'll have to wait even though I hate waiting for my computer to break. Is there an easier way to locate where the noise is coming from because it's kinda hard for me to tell.

It never hurts to tell us what kind of computer you have as a general rule. If you can open the side of the PC case, remove it and the next time the noise occurs see if you can figure out from where it is coming.

If it is a case fan there is nothing to worry about. It will just stop, if it hasn't already

Alright, so the noise happened again. It's more of a low rumbling noise rather than a "grinding" one. I couldn't tell which fan the noise was coming from. Is there an easier way to tell which fan the noise was coming from?

Depending on how old the video card is, it is common for those fans to make noise. If the 4 case fans are over 2 years old, they can cause this type of noise too. Remove the side and use a pencil eraser to put a bit pressure on the center of the rotating fans, including the CPU fan, one at a time. This will stop the noise on the offending fan

Alright, I did that and no noise as of yet. Thanks for all the help but there is another problem. When I removed the PSU cable and put it back in, it seemed to be a bit loose. Is this a problem or is this normal? I haven't had any problems but I was surprised to find the cables a bit loose. My PSU is a cosair tx 850m.

"When I removed the PSU cable and put it back in, it seemed to be a bit loose"... What PSU cable, the big one to the motherboard?

The grinding noise came back and I'm sure its the top fan of the case. I'm guessing replacing the fan will solve the problem so I'm going to do that. Maybe try the pencil trick one more time.

Good, yes replace the fan when you can... I have a front fan making noise when the computer first turns on. The noise stops after a few minutes

Alright, I ordered a fan, should come in a week or so. You said that you had the same problem? How long has your fan lasted so far?

About 2 years for the front 2 blue LED 120mm's and 1 is noisy... The CPU fan, top fan (230mm) and rear fan 120mm are going on 4 years and are running fine

Back