Computer halts before BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a new computer using an Intel D865PERL mobo and a 2.8G P4. I powered it up and it shut itself in a few seconds. This happened twice, so I pulled the heatsink off, and realized I forgot the thermal paste. I applied it, put it back together, and turned it on. The RAM and CPU were listed on startup, and a message said thet the computer was previously shutdown due to a thermal issue, and the hardware should be checked. It gave me the options of F4 to startup or F12 to boot from the network. I tried both, got no response, so I rebooted. The Intel mobo splash window appears, but that's all. No BIOS screen, nothing else. It just hangs there. This happens every time I boot up. Help! What can I do? I can't believe I fried the brand new P4, considering it never ran for more than 6 seconds before I applied the thermal paste. I'm clueless...

Sorry mate but it is possible to burn your cpu out in just a few seconds, and you say you did it twice :(.

Try removing everything not required for a startup, ie hd's cd,s sound cards, modem. then reset you bios.
If this fails remove and inspect the cpu for signs of damage. If no signs of damage shown try sending it back for a warranty replacement.

Good Luck

P4s don't fry that easily thanks to their internal thermal protection. I've booted a P4 machine even without a heatsink, managed to get into BIOS, it locked up after about 15 seconds, and when it had cooled down enough, booted again just fine.

Intel's mainboards typically have an option to display Intel's own logo instead of POST details, you might get it to boot correctly if you clear the bios with its clearing jumper or by removing the battery for a few seconds.

The symptoms might be caused by something else, maybe incorrectly installed cables / hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back