Computer Hang-up/Freeze. Help Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustj

Hi all. I have a problem with my computer and I would like your advice on how to handle it.
My computer began having problems while I started running applications; Word, Internet Explorer,
Windows Media Player, among others. While I was using the applications, the computer would freeze
or restart itself. I took my computer to get it checked and the technician told me it was a memory
problem. I changed the memory. Then he told me it was the hard drive. I changed it. The problem persisted.
I am having worries that it might be a power supply problem, or a motherboard problem. Or that my CPU is damaged.
Using the VIA Hardware Monitor, the alarms popping up where the following:

CPU Temperature is lower than Hysteresis Temperature

System temperature is lower than Hysteresis Temperature

System Fan Rotation Low

What could be the problem/s and what should I do?

What Operating system are you using? and what are your system specs?

It's either a memory problem (the first thing I thought of when you described your problems).

But, it can be a power supply problem. Try not adding alot of devices together on a single line for power (not exactly sure what the 'line' is called), if that is the case.

It can be a power supply problem because your system probably locks itself upon great deals of heat and your power supply just won't do the job.

How many watts is your power supply?

MY computer runs with:

Win 98 SE
Celeron 1.0ghz
256MB RAM
300 W psu
SOYO motherboard (Don't remember the name of the model)
56k US Robotics modem
SIS 305 32 MB AGP Video Card

Hope this helps.

It also could be your processor. I'm not too familiar with lock-ups but I know how they occur. Try downloading some of the latest drivers for one.

That PSU is sufficient for that computer. You may want to wait for a few more people's point of view before getting a new processor because I am not certain and I don't want to waste your cash.

I suspected you were running Win 98. the symptoms you describe are typical of Win 98 with missing, corrupted or over written files. Win 98 does not protect it's critical files like Win 2000 or XP does and during installation of software newer files are often over written by older versions and during uninstalls files that should not be removed often are.

run system file checker in system tools. replace any missing or corrupted files from your Win 98 disk thru the file checker. or if worse comes to worse and you dont want to reformat do a reinstall over the top of the current installation.

oh and when you do an uninstall and it ask and it tells you it should be safe to uninstall any .dll file always say NO.

of course it can still be a hardware problem that is causing operating system file corruption.

iss: The original hdd was a 20gb Western Digital unit. It had corrupted files and bad sectors. I changed it to a 60gb hdd of the same brand. I also changed the original memory by another of the same amount of RAM, 256. The problems still persist and the computer behaves in the same way as it did with the older hdd.

Are you running AT instead of ATX? If so, WIN98SE cannot support a drive over 20MB, maybe somehow you got it going and that's your problem.

I learned this a long time ago, trying to put a 40GB in an AT based comp.

No. It supports hdd units with storage capacity over 40gb. It's an ATX motherboard.

Also, what do these terms mean:

CPU Temperature is lower than Hysteresis Temperature

System temperature is lower than Hysteresis Temperature

System Fan Rotation Low

hys·ter·e·sis
n. pl. hys·ter·e·ses

The lagging of an effect behind its cause, as when the change in magnetism of a body lags behind changes in the magnetic field.

he didn't mean

to necessarily change memory, just more of it......geez, and a 32meg sis card.........time to upgrade bro......and, the warnings do relate to the cpu possibly overheating due to your fan starting to lag

XtR-X: Does that mean that my PSU is damaged and my computer compononents are not recieving an adequate supply of power? Or does it mean that it's overcharging my components?

It's really a really weird thing, 300W should be plenty for what you're running. I'm leaning more to the PSU problem than anything else. You may want to get ur PSU checked and make sure that in fact it is a 300W, it could be a really low one.

Just look inside your case and read the PSU sticker on the side. Look for max watts.

If it is the PSU, could it mean that my motherboard and CPU may be damaged? Or, if it's not getting enough energy, does it mean that I'm going to have to get another power supply unit?

check to see if there is a ton of dust on your fan blades

.......download motherboard monitor or some other utility capable of showing you fan speed........check to see if it's running correctly....one issue resolved

Mainboard Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : Socket 370
Upgrade Interface : ZIF Socket
Supported Speed(s) : 1.00GHz (or more)
Supported Voltage(s) : 3.3V

Processor Sensors
CPU Temperature : 37.4°C / 99.3°F
Auto Fan Speed Control : No
CPU Fan Speed : 3342rpm
CPU Core Voltage : 1.81V

Performance Tips
Warning W227 : CPU FSB speed higher than rated FSB! Reduce FSB speed.
Warning W222 : CPU speed higher than rated speed! Reduce CPU speed.
Notice N224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning W2528 : System monitor device implementation is known to vary.
Notice N2527 : Compensation was added to external temperature sensors.
Tip T2 : For more information about tips, press F1 and scroll to the Tips section.

Warning W227 : CPU FSB speed higher than rated FSB! Reduce FSB speed.

that right there is probably the source of your problem. if you have not been overcloking then either your bios settings have gotten messed up or your CPU or mobo is going bad.

you might try entering the bios and setting it to fail safe defaults.

Download aida 32 and install it the program will give you precise info on all the hardware in your system. find out what model of soyo your mobo is and then check the soyo site for info on that model.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

iss: I think you're right. I loaded fail-safe defaults, and it's still giving me problems. Is there a way to manually check if the CPU is damaged? Also, how can I determine if the motherboard is damaged too? I'm still leaning toward the PSU problem, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and I haven't been overclocking. I think maybe the CPU is trying to suck more power because the PSU doesn't supply it with the necessary electricity.

Your multiplier/frequency is a little too high. Put that back down to normal cuz if you overclock, stock cooling aint gonna do it.

your soyo mobo may have manual seettings on the board that are set wrong. that is why you need to know which soyo board it is and research it at the soyo site. most mobo manufacturers have downloadable manuals for their motherboards. and the manual should show you the correct settings for the CPU to set on the multipliers.

Did you buy the soyo new or was it used?

same problem, same model

Hello gustj,

Iknow this is any older post, but i found this post searching on google.
I have the same problem with a PC i just bought.
With VIA i get the same errors:

CPU temperture is lower than Hysteresis temperture

System fan rotation low.

Oddly enough its an SOYO too......

Windows 2000 pro
SY-K7VEMPRO (SOYO)
SOYO case & power supply
1800+ AMD
256 megs, 40GB

Id love to hear what you did to correct the problem?

I was in need of a cheap PC for my girl friend so bought this older but new bundle from tiger direct.
Tiger Direct first off sent me the wrong processor, it was too fast a pcu for the motherboard & wont boot cmos.
(1.4 AMD duron)
After finding the specs they sent me a 1800+ AMD. Witch falls under specs....

I frist try to install XP pro.... after many trys & many cds....
NO luck... it would freeze up during install.
I install mandrake fine....
then try XP again, with no luck....
Now i have 2000 pro installed & runs ok.... but i get lock ups & reboots when the PC loads up.

I thought it fast getting hot?!? ...so i got lots of fans:
I have a new P4 fan, power supply fan, card slot fan, & a case fan.

Still getting lock ups.....

Id love to hear what you did to correct the problem?

Any help would be great.... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back