Computer hangs completely after a period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outcasted

Hi, I am a first-time-poster. As you can see, my computer just hangs randomly. This just happened starting today. I can't understand why it happened. I just got this computer back from the computer shop after my hard disk got faulty and send it for warranty (it doesn't last for 2 months). I bore with it. It was this Wednesday when I got it back.

My computer was perfectly fine at first. It runs smoothly and I am satisfied. The problem slowly appears few days later. My slave hard disk suddenly cannot be detected. I did not pay much attention because the hard disk is already faulty before (not the one that is sent to warranty). Today, I was listening to music, and suddenly it just got hanged. I tried Alt+F4 and Ctrl+Alt+Del but it is of no use. I thought it is a virus so i restart the computer and started scanning with ESET Smart Security. The computer got hanged again after the scan is about 60%.

I got frustrated as I tried this a lot of times. I plug off the cable of the my slave hard disk. I then restart it again and go into BIOS. I changed the boot order into first boot - CD drive, second boot - Hard disk and third boot - CD drive (it is first boot - CD drive, second boot - Hard disk and third boot - hard disk before this). After that, I tried scan my computer once again. It was 99% when my computer got hanged. I just can't understand what is going on. Is it bad luck or what?

I went to Event Viewer > System and got this: (apparently, they did not fix my computer) *Will send when asked, cant post because too long*

What should I do to fix this problem?? I really want my computer to get up running!!

My computer specs are:
Pentium 4 2.40 GHz
1.0 GB Ram
NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000
80GB Western Digital SATA HDD (Primary)
40GB Maxtor PATA HDD (Slave - faulty)
LG DVD Combo Drive (Primary)
Samsung DVD Drive (Slave- -faulty)
Intel(R) 828 Controller
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Marvell Yukon Mortherboard

Your advice and help is greatly appreciated

Remove the faulty drives and run your computer. See if the "hangs" stop. The faulty drives may be fixed by performing an all 0's write on them

Yes, I did plug out the faulty drive, except the CD drive. Everything of my computer is extremely fine as long as I did not scan disk, defrag them and scan using anti-virus, my computer will not hang. Is it caused by the bad sector of the hard disk? I just bought this hard disk haf a year ago...

Any type of electronics can become faulty at any time. It doens't matter what it is, memory (RAM), HDD or other devices, ... It's because with the fierce price competitions, manufacturers look for ways to make electronics as cheaply as possible. That means they are more prone to failure. So many will not work right off the production line. So many will fail in the firt 90 days. Then so many will fail in 1 year and so on.

Just because you bought something 6 months ago and worked fine all along doesn't mean it can't suddenly become faulty, even useless. It hapens. Th easiest way to determine if a particular peice of hardware is faulty is simply to swap it with a new one. It's not always feasible for a hobbyist to do this but unless you have a complete test setup (oscilloscope, voltmeters, schematics, ... ) that's all you can do on your own. For certain devices, such as HDD, there are some free diagnostics programs you can try.

Inadequate power supply, would be a good guess.
You can download the drive fitness test of the manufacturer, which all of them offer (except for Toshiba and Tri-Gem). See if your drive is healthy.
Hard drives are so very inexpensive nowadays where you can get an 80 GB SATA or PATA for as low as $42 plus shipping, and a 160 GB for $65. Perhaps you will want to get a new drive and save all your data to it as a slave while you can. Then keep on using it until it fails

boot into Save Mode, get a command prompt and run CHKDSK /F

this will verify&repair your HD without reformatting.

never run DEFRAG without first running chkdsk!

inspect your pagefile size cp->system; it should be 2-3x your real ram install size.

almcneil said:
Just because you bought something 6 months ago and worked fine all along doesn't mean it can't suddenly become faulty, even useless. It hapens. Th easiest way to determine if a particular peice of hardware is faulty is simply to swap it with a new one. It's not always feasible for a hobbyist to do this but unless you have a complete test setup (oscilloscope, voltmeters, schematics, ... ) that's all you can do on your own. For certain devices, such as HDD, there are some free diagnostics programs you can try.

Aww...This is real hard...How am I gonna spend my money on these experiments with no job yet??

jobeard said:
boot into Save Mode, get a command prompt and run CHKDSK /F

this will verify&repair your HD without reformatting.

never run DEFRAG without first running chkdsk!

Yea, I did that too. My HDD have two partitions, and I ran chkdsk on both. They both hang during the stage 4 (first partition hangs during 1% and second partition hangs about 15%).

I followed what raybay said and went to WD official website and downloaded Windows Data Lifeguard. I checked it so that it perform extended scan (there is write to 0 option but I don't want to lost my stuffs, don't have other drive). After a few minutes, voila, it hanged again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back