Computer hangs in games with my new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

You guys have probably seen this problem a thousand times, but I am a bit lost and have no idea what to do about this.

I recently updated my system with new (although out of date) hardware. I put in a new motherboard, CPU and graphics card. The computer works just fine to surf the net, and do any work on, the problem comes when I play games which require a large amount of resources and/or are graphically intensive.

At most the most I will get 30-40 minutes game play before the system just freezes. Sometimes it can be even less and it has happened in both Half Life 2 and Empire at War. The system has even hung in opening menus in both. There will be no sound and no response from any keyboard commands. My only option is to restart. As you can imagine this is infuriating.

My system is (with new components):

Athlon XP 2800
Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ Mainboard
1.25 Gb RAM
2 Maxtor HDD both 7200 rpm (one 40Gb the other 120Gb)
Geforce FX 5500 256mb
CD-RW
DVD
Win XP Home SP2
PSU 300w (branded tsunami but probably generic)

Prior to the new hardware I was running a shuttle mainboard with an old Athlon T-bird 1.1Gb on it and a GF Ti 4200 128mb. I read on some other posts that it could possibly be my psu, as I didn’t have this problem prior to my upgrade.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Dentanite said:
I read on some other posts that it could possibly be my psu, as I didn’t have this problem prior to my upgrade.
It's a good investment to have a solid 400/450w brand name PSU.
Also make sure of your temps durring game play, may indicate a problem
with the cpu or video card.
Minimum requirements generally means "just bearly enuff to run it",
so when using a "power use calculator", I recommend adding 50w to the total.

Click Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back