Computer "hangs" only when starting (any) 3D game play

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBolt

I have an ATI 9600Pro PC&Mac 256mb version video card in an AMD AthlonXp 2700+ comp running WinXp Pro. This system is about 2 months old and about 2 weeks ago this very irritating problem has persisted; whenever going into a 3d game, any of the games I have installed, the screen will load their respective intros and menus then freak out with a screen full of horizontal colored lines when I click to play...locking the computer up completely. The only fix is to shut down and reboot. When the comp shuts down to reboot, I have a blank screen with a blue box in the middle that says "frequency out of range". I have tried everything I could think of...

-Reinstalling (3 times) the most up to date video / display / card drivers available
-Disabling firewall / virus protection for driver downloads
-Reconfiguring BIOS settings (no fastwrite, 4x, agp setting, 1.6v, etc.)
-Reconfiguring display settings from the lowest (800x600 / 60hz) to the highest at 85hz
-Cleaning out and re-installing all computer components
-Ensuring all up to date OS drivers

I have been to MSI and ATI's help desks, so far no helpful response. I find it hard to believe it is a game issue for it (the problem) occurs no matter what game I play...Halo, America's Army, FEAR, Unreal Tournament 2k4, Quake4...and this is a relatively new problem for everything worked fine 3 weeks ago. My comp is running between 40 to 43 degrees celcius (is that high?) and according to dxdiag, everything is funtioning as it should be. Is my vid card perhaps crapping out already (it's only 2 months old *insert crying emoticon here*)? HELP! I'm very close to drop kicking my computer!

BTW...hope this is the right forum for this post, if not...admin feel free to move and pardon my mistake.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It looks likely that your videocard is faulty. Rma it.

What psu do you have?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ahhh....thanks for the hint, Howard (ref: "what psu do u have?"). I ran some tests on my psu and sure enough, it wasn't pushing the power I needed considering all the other stuff it was powering including my older CyberVision C70 monitor. I purchased a higher powered (400hz) psu and "whulah"...everything is running. Sometimes you just need someone to point you in an otherwise logical direction. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back