Computer Hangs/Reboots while gaming - Event 1001 and Minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

2 months ago I built a new Crossfire socket 939 system. It's been a headache right from the start.

I've been experiencing random lockups in games. I get that high pitched squeal of death, the sound loops for a split second, then the screen goes black and the system reboots. It did this three times over the past couple of days while playing COD2. Here's the even log created:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/22/2006
Time: 12:26:57 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ROAR
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x8054d5f0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042206-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I've attached the minidumps. I used WinDbg to take a look at them, and it seems to indicate a memory controller problem? I'm not sure though, as I don't have a lot of experience analyzing dump files. I'd like some help looking at the dump file and maybe some suggestions as to what might be causing this issue.

Couple of things I've already done:
-Format and reinstall of Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 all security patches applied
-All drivers (mobo/videocard/soundcard/etc...) updated to most recent version
-BIOS flashed to most recent release
-AMD X2 Driver (/usepmtimer switch to boot.ini) installed
-Windows X2 Hotfix installed and enabled
-Disabled all nonessential background programs and services
-Disabled "Cool and Quiet" in BIOS
-Established that RAM is not the cause (exchanged the system RAM for known good RAM, problem persisted)
-Prime95 Torture Test (blend test 8 hours no warnings, no errors)
-Disabled AI Overclocking in BIOS (set it to manual 200 mhz)
-VCORE OverVoltage is not enabled

Also have memtest multiple times for multiple hours with no issues.

A more detailed post of everything I've done w/ this system can be found here.

At this point I'm happy to finally have some clue as to what's going on. Any insight or analysis of the dump files would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidumps crash with a bugcheck of 9C.

This means you have some kind of hardware failure. See below.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Disconnect anything not required to run your system and see if you still get the 9C crashes.

Check that your psu is powerful enough for your system.

Check for overheating.

Make sure nothing is overclocked.

Make sure that everything is seated and connected properly.

Hardware trouble shooting really is a process of elimination.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back