TechSpot

Computer harddrive problem

By Soccerplyr5
May 24, 2004
  1. Ok, just a warning...Im a total noob and know nothing about computers. Anyways, I have a old computer of mine that I want to put back in action because i was a backup. I think it has a virus on it or something because when I start the computer it brings me a scan check then after that it says and error has occured and I need to restart my computer. Then if i hit ctr-alt-delete then it brings me to a new screen that says things such as log on normal, safe mode, promt, ect... So what I wan't to know is what should I do. I want to make it so that my computer is like its brand new. I wan't no programs on it except for what it came with. Please help me. P.S- Its an IBM with Windows 98 on it. Thank you so much!! :D

2. Soccerplyr5

Soccerplyr5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, So i ran a product recovery today. I thought it worked. But after I typed in the product key and then it went to install drivers it can up with a illegal opperation and then froze. So i restarted it again and it just keeps coming up with illegal operations and freezing. So I don't know what to do. Please help. Thanks

3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

4. Soccerplyr5

With the recovery program i also ran a diagnostics program and it still doesn't work.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Are you talking about one of the manufacturer-specific diagnostic utilities listed in that thread?

What were the results of the diagnostic program?

6. Soccerplyr5

I ran a diagnostic program that came with the computer....Its on a disk and its the same disk that had the recovery thing on it. Everything passed..

7. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 394

8. Soccerplyr5

So what am i supposed to do with that? The problem is that I can't access the internet or anything on the computer im trying to fix. I can't even get to the main screen with all the icons. Although one time i did get to it through safe mode....but then it froze on me...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.