Computer has stopped booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this computer for several years and just recently it's been having various problems and now it's not even booting up anymore.

Some previous problems that led up to the boot up problem.

Most recently when using the computer, suddenly it seems to freeze up and after several minutes the display/resolution goes from my regular setting (I believe it was set at 1024x768 32 bit, to 256 color 640x480.

It was happening almost on a daily basis. It got so bad that instead of using the computer locally, I would log in from my laptop using Remote Desktop and using the computer this way instead. I was not sure if this was caused by a faulty video card or maybe the motherboard was having a problem.

I have an ATI All In Wonder 9800 AGP video card. It's been working fine for about 2 years but recently I was having problems using the TV tuner. When trying to use the TV Tuner I get driver errors. I've tried several different drivers from ATI but to no avail.

I'm running Windows XP SP2. 500mb DDR memory.

I'm running CA's Etrust Security Suite (Antivirus, AntiSpyware and firewall)
My last scans showed no viruses.

The last time my machine froze up and video went to 256 color, I rebooted my machine which will usually temporarily fixes the problem, but this last time the screen stayed black, no POST, no beeps, keyboard has just the numlock light on and nothing else lights up.
Fans go on, I can hear both hard drives spinning.

I noticed that my DVD drive and CDrom drive light kept going back and forth from one to the other continuously. I finally disconnected them to see if machine would boot up, but it did not.

Any suggestions?
Bad motherboard?
Bad memory?
Bad PSU?

Thanks

im guessing (just want to make that clear) that your mobo may have gone.
the resolution and colour changes may have been signs of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back