Computer HELP!!

By Cnslab
Nov 4, 2005
  1. I have received a computer from a colleque that wouldn't do anything. I initally checked the pwr supply and found it to be bad. I replaced to with a known good one. Now when I pwr up the computer I get the pwr fan, cpu fan, and HD/CD access indicators ONLY. I might add, NO monitor displays or BEEPS codes of any kind are heard. I inserted a POST card and all tests conducted pass.

I initially thought maybe RAM was bad. I ordered a new stick and after installing it found no change. I now suspect one of the following, mobo, bios, or cpu. What should I do now. Without a monitor screen I have no way of test any of these with aftermarket software.

Suggestions and or comments are GREATLY apprieciated.

System specs:
    mobo = FIC AM37 w/AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    chipset = VIA 8375 KM266, VIA 8235
    ram = 1GB DDR DIMM
    video = Savage 8 embedded in VT8375
    audio = embedded in 8235 w/AC~97

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Did you try resetting CMOS?

If you have tried with the basics (one stick of ram, CPU, video card) and you can't post, even after resetting cmos, you have a bad part.

[donnagual rubs his eyes after having to read a post all in red]
  3. Cnslab

Cnslab TS Rookie Topic Starter

I pulled the battery and re-installed it.

I don't suspect any "card" because the POST card test passed. Including onboard video. With and without cards installed, except with the applicable faults due to removed perifs: ie. keyboard.

I can't test Board, CPU or BIOS with aftermarket software with no video.
  4. Cnslab

I quess what I'm asking is.......what should I do motherboard same CPU only.......motherboard package?
  5. shiv_skanda

shiv_skanda TS Rookie

check the monitor first. If its fine then, then the VGA card may have gone kaput. If its an inbuilt one, then try buying a new video card and installing in AGP slot.

Before do check that the monitor is working fine by using some other monitor in its place. a very basic solution but worth a try. Dont forget to reset the CMOS by changing th jumper settings.
  6. Cnslab

I have used a known good monitor, I have tested onboard video with a POST card(tested good), I have used an AGP video card as well(no change). It's NOT a video problem. That is a symptom of the problem. The problem is BOOT related. There are NO beep codes from the motherboard with or without components(CD, Floppy, HD, RAM, NIC, etc...) attached.

I suspect motherboard or BIOS chipset. My original problem was a bad PSU. What components usually go bad when a PSU fails? :knock:
  7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Carefully check the capacitors around the CPU o the motherboard. If they ooze dark liquid, or look like they have a popping cap (i.e. it is 'rounded' upwards instead of flat), you need a new motherboard.
    Should be cheap for that type of processor.
    Check with friends for an AMD-compatible mobo, to see if they let you try the CPU.
    Bad PSU's don't normally bring down anything else.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.