Computer Infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

sballard

Hi,

You helped me out a little while back with my computer, now my father's computer is infected as well. Not as bad as mine was, but he had some strange behavior like fake windows messages, and having his browser taken over/redirected. I performed the 16 step process and have attached the logs. The panda root thing didn't find any problems.

Thanks...Shawn

You can have HJT fix these entries because they have been deactivated:

O2 - BHO: pwn plugin - {7E24E909-FB8A-4837-9DF7-05E7587CB26C} - C:\WINDOWS\pwnbho.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - (no file)

Your AVG AS log says No action taken. You need to set the program to quarantine the files that it finds by clicking Scanner > Settings and changing the How to act? setting by clicking the blue writing and choosing Quarantine.

AVG AS fas found Not-A-Virus.Downloader.Win32.DigStream so you definitely want it to quarantine that file.

This thread is for the use of sballard only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks. I actually re-ran AVG before I posted, and quarantined that entry, however it didn't create a log-file for me, so I posted the original log file that was created when I forgot to quarantine. Should I still re-run AVG?

I will fix the HJT entries you indicated and re-post a log.

Thanks!...Shawn

Your AVG AS log looks good now :)

From your HJT log I see that you're running Norton and/or McAffee. I would recommend that instead of having one or both of those, that you change to some different programs. Norton and McAffee are both bad at letting infections in and then don't pick them up once they're there.

These are good programs, and all free:

Anti virus: AVG or Avast - use only ONE

Anti-spyware: Spybot S&D and Ad-aware - use both

Firewall: Kerio, Comodo or ZoneAlarm - use only ONE
There are multiple version of Zone Alarm, one of which is the free, firewall only version.

For future reference, if you want to add new information to a post (this can include logs) and there are no new replies, can you please use the Edit button, on the bottom right of the post. Thanks :)

This thread is for the use of sballard only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Daveskater said:
Your AVG AS log looks good now :)

From your HJT log I see that you're running Norton and/or McAffee. I would recommend that instead of having one or both of those, that you change to some different programs. Norton and McAffee are both bad at letting infections in and then don't pick them up once they're there.

These are good programs, and all free:

Anti virus: AVG or Avast - use only ONE

Anti-spyware: Spybot S&D and Ad-aware - use both

Firewall: Kerio, Comodo or ZoneAlarm - use only ONE
There are multiple version of Zone Alarm, one of which is the free, firewall only version.

For future reference, if you want to add new information to a post (this can include logs) and there are no new replies, can you please use the Edit button, on the bottom right of the post. Thanks :)

Thanks for the help! The system seems to be running well now. I will look into installing AVG or Avast for my dad.

Thanks Again!...Shawn

only have 1 anti-virus installed at a time. having more than 1 can cause serious conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back