Solved Computer is extremely slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaCt0R

Hi I am experiencing some problems on my sisters computer, it is extremely slow all the time and takes an extremely long time to start up and almost any action I do takes a while. I finished the 8 steps and my antivirus (avg) and mbam found nothing but I'll attach the logs anyway

And if it matters I ran all of these in safe mode because in normal mode it is nearly impossible without the computer crashing / freezing.

Here are my logs

Attachments

• avgrep.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
  • mbam-log-2010-05-26 (00-06-34).txt
    907 bytes · Views: 3
  • gmer log.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DDS.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Attach.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

=======================================================================

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" .
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU T5300 @1.73ghz 1.73ghz
1 gb of RAM
96.4 GB free of 142 GB

This computer is 3 years old, the model/brand is HP Pavilion dv6000

I know it isn't top of the line or anything but it should not be this slow I'm sure... I am working on the combofix log right now ill edit with the log once its done.
Thanks for your help Broni.

Ok here's my log.
I did notice that a few times it said access denied you need to be an administor or something like that..
This might have been because I started Combofix the first time without doing run as administer than I noticed it saying access denied and closed it right as it started and did do run as administer (I'm using vista) but the message still came up a few times but I just let it run anyway.

Let me know if I should run it again because of this

Also I am in safe mode with networking if that matters. I am just because the normal mode is a lot slower

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 3
Your main issue is this:
1 gb of RAM
For Vista to run well, you need at least 2GB of RAM. Get 1GB of RAM more and you'll see the difference.

Combofix log looks clean.
Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

Until you upgrade your RAM, I'd suggest you uninstall AVG, which is known for slowing computers down and install something lighter.
To uninstall AVG, use AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
When done, install one of these:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

When done...

1. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

2. Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Disable your active antivirus program.
2. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
3. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
4. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
5. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:

• Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
    [*] Archives
    [*] Mail databases
6. Click on My Computer under Scan.
7. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
8. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
9. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button. Then post it here.

Download HijackThis:
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
by clicking on Installer under Version 2.0.4
Install, and run it.
Post HijackTHis log.
Do NOT attempt to fix anything!

NOTE. If you're using Vista, or 7, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator

Ok so I tried to uninstall combofix and it says that windows can't find "Combofix" and I am very sure that I typed it right... I typed it several times with the space and also copied and pasted and got the same problem :/

I will work on the rest of the steps and could you help me to make some of the start up programs not start. I know I have done it before but I can't remember exactly how I did and maybe suggest some that I dont need to start at start up because this is a labtop and I think that its hard to upgrade hardware on labtops maybe I'm wrong though

Ill get the logs soon.

Delete Combofix manually....
Delete Combofix, Qoobox folders,and Combofix.txt file from C:
Delete Combofix from your desktop

could you help me to make some of the start up programs not start
I surely will :)

Well thanks for your help so far I am running the online scan right now but it seems like it will take a while (I'm at 3%) so I'll get the logs up tomorrow!

Thanks Broni!

Alright here are the logs.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    11.5 KB · Views: 2
  • kaspersky log.txt
    1 KB · Views: 1
Please download OTM

• Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTM to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • Copy the lines in the codebox below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

Code:
:Processes

:Services

:Reg

:Files
C:\Program Files\Kiwee Toolbar2\1.2.116\KiweeContentHost.dll	
C:\Users\LOSER\Downloads\V.66 SW OreRusher Fixed.rar

:Commands
[purity]
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]

• Return to OTM, right click in the Paste Instructions for Items to be Movedwindow (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
  • Close OTM and reboot your PC.

Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

All processes killed
========== PROCESSES ==========
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
DllUnregisterServer procedure not found in C:\Program Files\Kiwee Toolbar2\1.2.116\KiweeContentHost.dll
C:\Program Files\Kiwee Toolbar2\1.2.116\KiweeContentHost.dll moved successfully.
C:\Users\LOSER\Downloads\V.66 SW OreRusher Fixed.rar moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\Hosts moved successfully.
HOSTS file reset successfully

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Default
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default User
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: LOSER
->Temp folder emptied: 108591946 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 2409022 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 3144759 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 44009405 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 434 bytes

User: Public

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 2300 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 359656 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 151.00 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.12.0 log created on 05272010_201756

Files moved on Reboot...
C:\Users\LOSER\AppData\Local\Temp\ehmsas.txt moved successfully.

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

And I will say that the computer is starting up and running a lot better so far!

One new thing that just started though is whenever the computer restarts windows installer trys to install "PSSWCORE" should I let it install? or if not is there a way to get this to not show up?

Please download OTC to your desktop. It'll remove most tools and logs we used so far. If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.

• Double-click OTC.exe to run it. (Vista and 7 users, please right click on OTC and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button and follow the prompts.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process, choose Yes. If it doesn't ask you to reboot, restart computer manually.
  • After the reboot all the tools we used should be gone.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

=========================================================================

Aside from you getting more RAM, which is crucial here, we'll disable some unnecessary startups (no actual programs will be removed).

Also...
I recommend, you unistall Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a resource hog, and install FoxIt Reader: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/2713-foxit-reader.html, which is much smaller, and faster. It does very same thing.
Make sure, you run "custom" install, and opt out from installing any extra toolbars.

Re-run HJT and checkmark following entries:

R3 - URLSearchHook: Kiwee Toolbar - {6638A9DE-0745-4292-8A2E-AE530E7B9B3F} - C:\Program Files\Kiwee Toolbar2\1.2.116\KiweeIEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Kiwee Toolbar - {6638A9DE-0745-4292-8A2E-AE530E7B9B3F} - C:\Program Files\Kiwee Toolbar2\1.2.116\KiweeIEToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Kiwee Toolbar - {6638A9DE-0745-4292-8A2E-AE530E7B9B3F} - C:\Program Files\Kiwee Toolbar2\1.2.116\KiweeIEToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ArcSoft Connection Service] C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACDaemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe [unless you have paid version]
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Connections.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP Connections\6811507\Program\HP Connections.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL [unless you have paid version]

Click "Fix checked" button.
Restart computer.

Your computer is clean

1. We need to reset system restore to prevent your computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). We'll create fresh, clean restore point.

Turn off System Restore:

- Windows XP:
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore".
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
- Windows Vista and 7:
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click on System Protection under the Tasks column on the left side
4. Click on Continue on the "User Account Control" window that pops up
5. Under the System Protection tab, find Available Disks
6. Uncheck the box for any drive you wish to disable system restore on (in most cases, drive "C:")
7. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click "Turn System Restore Off" on the popup window to do this.
8. Click OK

2. Restart computer.

3. Turn System Restore on.

4. Make sure, Windows Updates are current.

5. If any Trojan was listed among your infection(s), make sure, you change all of your on-line important passwords (bank account(s), secured web sites, etc.) immediately!

6. Download, and install WOT (Web OF Trust): http://www.mywot.com/. It'll warn you (in most cases) about dangerous web sites.

7. Run defrag at your convenience.

8. Read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

9. Please, let me know, how is your computer doing.

Thanks for the help! My computer is running a lot faster

The only problem/annoyance is when I turn on the computer or log on windows installer tries to install "PSSWCORE" I have been canceling it because I don't know what that is. And it didnt do this before we started this clean up. Also i have to cancel it multiple times before it finally quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back