Computer isn't communicating with router

I'm at my wits end. I've been trying to get internet to work on my new custom computer but no matter what I've tried it's failed. I've tried various methods on this website and numerous others to no avail.I've pinpointed that my computer refuses to converse with the router. When DHCP is enabled it gives me the generic ip address of 168 and also no default gateway. The strange factor is that the system will connect to the internet randomly for small amounts of about 1/2 a minute with incredibly low speed then disconnect again.

I'm going to restate clearly that I've tried most solutions that are on this website. I've restarted my router with the reset button, I've tried using a static ip address, I've updated drivers and so forth and non have worked. My IP config states that the media is disconnected and I receive no pings from anything. I have also tried the usual commands:
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
and some netsh commands.

Any help would be appreciated.

The ip address 169.x.y.z is a clear indication that the udp broadcast on port 67 did not get a reply from the router - - now why?

You state you've updated the driver; verify that using
run -> devmgmt.msc
  • expand [+] Network Adapters
  • nothing should show up with a yellow flag and
  • both the wired nic and the wifi adapters (if you have both) should be visible
disable the wifi while you're here and work with the wired for now.

What OS/edition are you running?
Modem/Router make & Model?

What A/V and Firewall are you using?

The ip address 169.x.y.z is a clear indication that the udp broadcast on port 67 did not get a reply from the router - - now why?

You state you've updated the driver; verify that using
run -> devmgmt.msc
  • expand [+] Network Adapters
  • nothing should show up with a yellow flag and
  • both the wired nic and the wifi adapters (if you have both) should be visible
disable the wifi while you're here and work with the wired for now.

What OS/edition are you running?
Modem/Router make & Model?

What A/V and Firewall are you using?

No flags. If I disable the wifi I have no way to post. The computer only has a wired adapter. No wireless capability. I'm running Win7 premium 64 bit.
Modem is a Toshiba PCX2600
Router is a N150 Belkin Model F9K1001V1
Only firewall I have is windows firewall

No flags. If I disable the wifi I have no way to post. The computer only has a wired adapter. No wireless capability.
that's inconsistent :(

Hmm; maybe I didn't read that correctly - - anyone comment?

So far I'm on my own. 1k down the drain until I can fix this. It won't connect through direct connection with the modem.

My NIC is a NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet.

No flags. If I disable the wifi I have no way to post. The computer only has a wired adapter. No wireless capability. I'm running Win7 premium 64 bit.
Modem is a Toshiba PCX2600
Router is a N150 Belkin Model F9K1001V1
Only firewall I have is windows firewall

Little confusing to say the least. How is it possible that you can not post if you disable the wifi? If your computer has only a wired adapter.

How old is this router?

2009 model V1

Belkin N150 Problematic for 802.11g supported tablets and netbooks.

How old is this router?

2009 model V1

Belkin N150 Problematic for 802.11g supported tablets and netbooks.

Not 100% I believe it's 2011. But I've connected my computer to the modem and even to my laptop and there's no communication at all.

When you connected the computer to the modem, Did you power down the modem and computer. In order for the computer to pick up a new IP. If not it will still try and use the routers IP. In turn their will be no internet connection.

When you connected the computer to the modem, Did you power down the modem and computer. In order for the computer to pick up a new IP. If not it will still try and use the routers IP. In turn their will be no internet connection.

Yep. Restarted both at the same time. Waited a minute and restarted. No change.

Try uninstalling your computers Eithernet adapters drivers. Then reinstalling them. Other then that your modem or adapter maybe bad. Hopefully Jobeard can help you he the expert on this.

Try uninstalling your computers Eithernet adapters drivers. Then reinstalling them. Other then that your modem or adapter maybe bad. Hopefully Jobeard can help you he the expert on this.

I tried uninstalling the adapter + the drivers. I really have tried most solutions.

Just buy another Router, if you need WiFi Router get the EnGenius Technologies XtraRange Dual-Band Wireless-N Router (ESR600H), and you won't have these type of issues. This is what I've been using no issues so far. If your in the USA you can get this from Amazon for $57 bucks which is a far cry when it was first release. Last year it was in the $80.

I would tell you more about what's under the hood, but you get 4x ANT, 2x SMA external 5dBi = 10dBi and 2x internal 5dBi = 10dBi. Note this is dual band high power and high extended power range WiFi Router. Might be more than what you need but you never know. This one WiFi router will take care of all your needs downloads are and uploads. It also has NAT Turbine Mode so you would get about up to 800Mbps from Wired Gigabit Connections.

MPU/NPU is 600MHz
RAM is 256MB DDR3
Support HD Streaming

2.4GHz and 5.0GHz band
Smart Wizard to Set it up.
Latest firmware is 1.35

Concurrent Dual-Band 802.11a/b/g/n with up to 300Mbps + 300Mbps = 600Mbps

Just buy another Router, if you need WiFi Router get the EnGenius Technologies XtraRange Dual-Band Wireless-N Router (ESR600H), and you won't have these type of issues. This is what I've been using no issues so far. If your in the USA you can get this from Amazon for $57 bucks which is a far cry when it was first release. Last year it was in the $80.

I would tell you more about what's under the hood, but you get 4x ANT, 2x SMA external 5dBi = 10dBi and 2x internal 5dBi = 10dBi. Note this is dual band high power and high extended power range WiFi Router. Might be more than what you need but you never know. This one WiFi router will take care of all your needs downloads are and uploads. It also has NAT Turbine Mode so you would get about up to 800Mbps from Wired Gigabit Connections.

MPU/NPU is 600MHz
RAM is 256MB DDR3
Support HD Streaming

2.4GHz and 5.0GHz band
Latest firmware is 1.35

I'm not

MPU/NPU is 600MHz
RAM is 256MB DDR3
Support HD Streaming

2.4GHz and 5.0GHz band
Latest firmware is 1.35

I'm not keen for spending over 40$. Also If it's the router then why doesn't it work through a modem?

What modem brand do you have? Have you called up the ISP to walk you through a modem reset. They can send a hit to your modem and make sure that they can see your router. Try that first. Then you'll know what the real issues is. There is ESR350H in 40$ range. If you needed to replace this router. But call the ISP and tell them you would like them to send a hit to the Modem. Are you on Cable or DSL?

What modem brand do you have? Have you called up the ISP to walk you through a modem reset. They can send a hit to your modem and make sure that they can see your router. Try that first. Then you'll know what the real issues is. There is ESR350H in 40$ range. If you needed to replace this router. But call the ISP and tell them you would like them to send a hit to the Modem. Are you on Cable or DSL?

Cable. The thing is that all other computers and devices work off the router. Just not my desktop.

Back