Computer issues.. Restarting/crashes during gaming, harddrive issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've been trying to help my friend get her computer issues worked out for a while now. She's quite a few states away from me, so I can't be there physically to look at the hardware, and test stuff to get a verdict. The problems have been this:

During gaming, MMORPGS specifically; Neverwinter Nights, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, there has been something that has caused either the application itself to close/generate a crash error, or the computer gets a BSOD + error message and automatically restarts.

First I tried getting her drivers updated. DirectX, video card, etc in hopes that it wasn't a hardware issue. Turns out none of that helped. For a little bit I had the same problem, and it ended up being overheating. Caused my computer to restart, but errors weren't generated. Nothing in BIOS suggested overclocking; so I'm assuming that isn't the issue. Next thing I thought could be the problem was bad RAM. RAM was interchanged (two different 512MB sticks), both high quality pieces, no difference shown. So, now it's down to what? The motherboard or the harddrive? I wouldn't expect the CPU or video card to be the problem with these sorts of errors. Power supply is also more than adequate for the PC, so that's not it either. Through a little exploring, I found out about "Eventvwr.msc" and had her run that and take a look at the errors. The system errors were all

"The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."

So, does that point at the harddrive being the problem?

I've been thinking of every possible way to fix it, and so far I've been absolutely no help. Can't stand to see the problems continue, so I'm hoping someone on here could give me some help.

Thanks in advance.

- kasel23

You could try a chkdsk /f to be run at the next boot. Find this option in Disk Management.
There is also a program called HDD Regenerator, which does just that, regenerate the HD without destroying anything on it. www.dposoft.net
Works like a charm.
Do not underestimate the importance of a GOOD powersupply. Some 500w PSUs crap out at relatively small loads, other 350w PSUs happily drive a AMD64, latest ATIcard and 10 drives etc. without batting an eyelid.

Do not underestimate the importance of a GOOD powersupply.
oh, if only all people knew. i mostly hear the same thing; "it was cheaper and had more watts" *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back