Computer keeps crashing when playing games

By Snowcrash000
Aug 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I'm getting these crashes only when playing games. I actually get slightly different ones all the time. Crashes to a black screen, crashes to a screen with colorful graphical corruption, freezes where the screen stays intact. Sometimes these crashes and freezes are accompanied by a loud buzzing sound from the speakers, sometimes not. A hard reset is needed after this. I used to get a lot of BSODs as well, but not anymore lately

I recently had a major overheating problem with this PC, which I fixed by cleaning and repasting the CPU and GPU heatsinks. Temperatures are normal now, but I cannot play games without crashing every 10-20 minutes. My theory is that I either noticed the overheating problem too late and some permanent damage has been done to either my CPU or GPU or I actually damaged them or the motherboard myself while cleaning/repasting them. Is there any way to determine which part is faulty without physically swapping them out? I've run a chckdsk and a memtest86, so I think I can rule out the HDD or RAM being the problem. I've also updated all the drivers I could think of.
  2. sentrycube

sentrycube TechSpot Member Posts: 20

Upload a zipped folder with all the minidumps.

I think it is highly possible that due to overheating your GPU sustained damage.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

To post minidumps go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here
    sentrycube likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.