Computer keeps freezing and I have to hold pwr to restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Phate

Well about a 2 weeks ago my computer(desktop PC) has been Freezing and the only way to get it to work is to hold down the power button and restart. Now it had recommended a system restore which made the problem go away for like 1 day and a half but now its back again. Any ideas I had to do a disk check and it found some errors.

Could the culprit be that i only have a 350watt psu when im supposed to have at least a 400 with my nvidia geforce 9600gt lp card. i upgraded from a 250 and figured that would suffice. I was thinking I would either have to replace psu/and hdd or what do you recommend.

VISTA IS MY OS.

Power supplies are the backbone of any system. Please tell us the make and model of your power supply and give us your other hardware specs such as make and model of your motherboard, the make, type, and the amount of RAM installed, plus how many CD/DVD drives and if you are using a sound card.

Acer Aspire M1100-UD4000A
* Processor: Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2 GHz
* RAM: 5GB 3x1gb 1x2gb
* Hard Drive: 300 gb
* Optical Storage: DVD±RW
* Graphics Controller: Geforce 9600gt Lp

* Networking: Network adapter, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
* Warranty: 1 Year Limited
* Not Included: Monitor
AM1100-B1300A ATHLON 64 X2 BE-2300+/1GB/250GB/DUAL DVD DL/SPEAKER/MODEM/MC READER/PS2 KB & MOUSE/VISTA
Wireless Pci Card
1 dvd/cd drive

cant find motherboard name.

I am looking at your system and though I am not saying the power supply is the reason for your freezing I will say 350 isn't going to cut it in my estimation. What is the make and model of your current power supply?

BRAND: Mad Dog
MODEL NUMBER: MD-350WPS

Is "Mad Dog" the model name of the manufacturer's name? If not the manufacturer's name could you please give us that info. I have never heard of it before. I would like to look it up to research it. Are you in the U.S.?

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=md-350wps&aq=0&oq=Md-350&aqi=g3&fp=sCUzfgqSVxs (google search)
http://www.hrcomputers.com/equipment/powersupplies/maddogmd-350wps.html
Im fairly sure it is the manufacture.
I also had to get a molex converter
062209_174300.jpg

062209_172900.jpg

and yes im in the us california

The picture is out of focus on the bottom. Can you tell me what the 12 volt rail number says. It would be someting like +12v 18A. If it has two positive give me those numbers.

Okay, that is exactly what we needed to know. The minimum power on the +12v rail for a 9600gt is 26A. Your psu only supplies 20A; the amount of amperage on the +12v rail is critical. If yours doesn't have enough, it can lead to problems. There are other things that could cause your problems so you can't just say it's probably related to your PSU, unless you're ruled out the other causes. Nevertheless, your current psu isn't supplying what your 9600gt needs.

Also, I am very suspect of your psu. Just because it says it puts out 350 watts doesn't mean it actually does. Do you have budget to get another psu? If so we'll be more than glad to help you find a good reliable upgrade that will fit your needs.

I do have money but intill friday i am willing to spend about 80$ including shipping should i revert back to my old gfx card for the time being?
also I dont think it could be anything else i take good care of my computer i knew from the beginning this might be a problem but i had no steady income then. THank you for your help thus far any further assistance would be very appreciated. If you could point me in the right direction.

For $80 and probably less we can get you a good solid psu. Go back and install the old GFX and tell us how that works. Don't forget to uninstall the 9600 drivers.

By the way, you have very decent hardware. I myself run the 9600gt in my old socket 939 system.

okay so preliminary tests are going well. so turning off yet 30 minutes but its lasted a hour with the old card i put in my 7300gs

Then it does sound like your power supply was the issue for your 9600gt. You needed a minimum of 26A on the 12 volt+ rail and your current psu will only provide 20A at the max.

everything seems to be working fine now ive been playinv videos for 2 hours straight so i guess ill be ordering a new psu can you give a recommendation please?

Here is a link to NewEgg.com They have the best customer service on the planet but they only ship to the U.S. and I believe now Canada.

I have built two systems with this power supply and for your system specs this should be more than enough. The dual 12+v rails have a total of 29A which should more than suffice for your video card.

Thermaltake http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

Or here is a Fortron. They make excellent psus and it has an 80% efficiency rate as compared to the Themaltake's 70% http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104053

This Antec has a good reputation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

The last two actually supply more A on the dual rails, but, again, any of them should fit your need. If you order from NewEgg and it is DOA or it dies down the road (read their return policies) they treat their customers very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back