Computer keeps freezing in an odd way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grixti

My computer keeps freezing roughly 10 minutes after starting up every time. It always starts up fine but after running for around 10 mins it freezes. Sometimes when it freezes I can just about move the mouse pointer around but it is super slow and laggy. I can't get up the task manager or start menu etc after it has frozen.

I am running windows XP on a very decent system (Quad core, 4gig Ram etc). I also have a 1TB harddrive and have recently used up quite a lot of space on that in a relatively short space of time (I have been editing variouse films). Could this have something to do with it? The drive is partitioned into two 500gb sections. One section has about 90gb left and the other has about 350gb.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here? I have never seen a computer do this before.

Check your system and graphics card temperatures. Something might be overheating. Any dust clogging the heatsink or graphics card?

I have run my computer in safe mode and it doesn't crash. Also, when I enter the boot menu to boot in safe mode there are lots of exclemation marks all over the screen?

Sorry - I meant after 10 minutes. Are you able to open task manager when this happens? You can sort by CPU and memory usage under the Processes tab to see if there is an application being a big pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back