Computer Keeps Freezing

Uncle Sam

My laptop keeps freezing unexpectedly. I've been experiencing this problem for the past 2-3 days. If I am connected for a long on the internet, it just freezes. No interaction at all.

This usually happens when:
I play music, online programming (via codepen) and have multiple windows open (happened once)
OR
When I play online flash games, listen to music (happened once or twice)

I have recently scanned my computer with ESET online scanner (before the freezing events). I have not disabled my AV program whenever I run ESET (AVG 2014 - Internet Security). Could this be the problem?

There is no other problems besides the freezing.

Yes running two anti virus programs at once . Could very well be your problem. Your best bet would be to uninstall one of them.

Yes running two anti virus programs at once . Could very well be your problem. Your best bet would be to uninstall one of them.
I think eset online scanner is an on-demand antivirus with no resident shield function.

My laptop keeps freezing unexpectedly. I've been experiencing this problem for the past 2-3 days. If I am connected for a long on the internet, it just freezes. No interaction at all.

This usually happens when:
I play music, online programming (via codepen) and have multiple windows open (happened once)
OR
When I play online flash games, listen to music (happened once or twice)

I have recently scanned my computer with ESET online scanner (before the freezing events). I have not disabled my AV program whenever I run ESET (AVG 2014 - Internet Security). Could this be the problem?

There is no other problems besides the freezing.
multiple windows + programming + music + flash games + avg 2014 is + on-demand AV = memory hog?
from your internet browser setting, try to empty internet cache or delete browser history upon browser exit.
if using windows OS, try to increase page file size to 1.5x your RAM.
if using 2gb RAM or less, add more RAM modules.

Sorry I thought you were running Eset and AV at the same time. Running both at the same time will cause that type of problem. Your best bet would be to remove AVG. See if this maybe causing the problem. As was mention by TMagic. If so replace it with another Antivirus program of your choice.

I think eset online scanner is an on-demand antivirus with no resident shield function.

multiple windows + programming + music + flash games + avg 2014 is + on-demand AV = memory hog?
from your internet browser setting, try to empty internet cache or delete browser history upon browser exit.
if using windows OS, try to increase page file size to 1.5x your RAM.
if using 2gb RAM or less, add more RAM modules.

Separate incidents.
The first incident: Codepen + music + 2 other tabs open
Second incident: Flash Game + music

Intensive stuff like AV scans, I tend to close all applications.

I always ensure I'm below at most 60% memory use when I'm multitasking. I'm running on 4GB RAM, with 1024GB dedicated graphics memory.

But I think I know what the problem is. Whenever I connect to the internet AVG runs a post-memory scan.
I think this is where both the AV's clashed horns.

I've uninstalled ESET Online Scanner. Things are looking good so far

Last edited:
No , TMagic stated AVG and the firewall maybe not getting alone with each other. But if think you have it solved by removing ESET online Scanner. Then no do not turn off windows firewall. If you do not have it fixed. Then you need to look into another Antivirus software. That gets a long with windows firewall. You do not want to have to turn off Windows Firewall.

Last edited:
But I think I know what the problem is. Whenever I connect to the internet AVG runs a post-memory scan.
what do you mean by post-memory scan?

I'm an avg antivirus user since avg 6 antivirus free edition more than a decade ago. afaik, avg tends to use a lot of memory resource when running scans. to avoid it, I disabled automatic system scan after avg update/windows logon. while I do my daily scan, I tend to do it before I do any multitasking or before I go to sleep. (at one time in my life, I even have avg free edition + avast free + bitdefender free (no resident shield) = memory hog = uninstalled two AVs = :) )

installing avg internet security suite which has a firewall component will result in automatic turning off of the built-in windows firewall in windows xp sp3, vista, 7, 8.x. when connecting to websites, avg will scan for script attacks (similar to mcafee site advisor, avast, etc)

what do you mean by post-memory scan?

I'm an avg antivirus user since avg 6 antivirus free edition more than a decade ago. afaik, avg tends to use a lot of memory resource when running scans. to avoid it, I disabled automatic system scan after avg update/windows logon. while I do my daily scan, I tend to do it before I do any multitasking or before I go to sleep. (at one time in my life, I even have avg free edition + avast free + bitdefender free (no resident shield) = memory hog = uninstalled two AVs = :) )

installing avg internet security suite which has a firewall component will result in automatic turning off of the built-in windows firewall in windows xp sp3, vista, 7, 8.x. when connecting to websites, avg will scan for script attacks (similar to mcafee site advisor, avast, etc)

First of all, sorry for the late reply.
By post-memory scan, I mean when you first connect to the internet and perform an update.

Sadly, this has not erased the problem. It came back last week (twice).
The following events occurred:
1) It froze for a couple of seconds and then a message popped up from the taskbar "AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered". I can't remember the exact wording. It was something similar to what I quoted.

3 days after:
1) Mouse pointer changes to that loading icon.
2) As soon as I move my mouse everything freezes.
3) I was listening to music and it was still playing though (with everything else frozen)

Graphic Device I am using: Radeon HD 6770M

I tried googling this problem and saw that many people are having this problem. Some usually resolved it with a driver update.
Problem is, I can't find the update.

Last edited:
Also if possible, do clean installation of new driver pack. (uninstall previous driver pack and reboot)

Back