Computer keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, i'll get straight to the point instead of annoying you with blabber... which is what i'm doing.. ok, so i'm playing warcraft 3... 15 minutes or so later.. boom. my computer restarts and then when it loads back up, it says that it has recovered from a critical error. the same type of thing happens when i do a virus scan. (i use Norton) whats got me stumped, is that its not constant. sometimes the scan will be open for a couple seconds.. and it happens. other times a few minutes, and sometimes (get this) it will complete the scan, and i close the window.. and then it happens.. i don't get whats going on here!!.. oh yeah, i also reformatted my computer when this started happening before hoping to cure the problem.. but the saaaaaame thing is happening... any thoughts, ideas or questions?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

yes i did go through any troubleshooting tips. this is my last resort next to bringing it up to future shop and gettin it gutted... no offence

any recent changes in hardware/software etc?

1st off try disabling norton/uninstalling norton via safe mode...

use trendmicro's housecall internet scan, also download spybot and adaware. update and scan. run chkdsk /f and defrag.

get everest, and take a look at your sensor readings on it and confirm you have enough power and cool temps, double check you're running on good mains power (get a UPS or a good quality surgemaster) and check what PSU model/watts/make you have

update all drivers, direct x, windows updates.

yeah i've installed a 1 gb ddram there about a month ago... it was working perfectly fine..software?.. nothhing out of the ordinary.. spybot, daemon tools..some perps like web cam, wireless mouse... that housecall thing.. never worked. the progress bar on explorer got like half way and stopped. the progres bar for the scan itself got as far as "downloading and starting scan" or something, and it just remained idle.

Right click on My Computer icon/properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery..SETTINGS/ now turn off "auto restart". Check system log and have it write a 64K size file to this folder %SystemRoot%\Minidump

Now at least you will see a BSOD when it happens again. Write down a few of the lines there and post them back here.

It's very likely an overheating issue or bad RAM. Try putting an external fan on it with the case side off and see if that helps.

i can't see it being a heat problem... my pc has three fans in total.. two on the back and one on the processor... running Warcraft doesn't require much power to run.. considering the amount i have. I'll try the my computer thing

i did the BSOD thing.. i don't know what info you would be looking for on that page, but here is what it said under the technical info.. "***stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8059AE34,0xA87854EC,0x00000000)" does this mean anything to you?... sure as heck means nothing to me

hey, alright on the blue screen on start up.. i got this once "Bad_pool_Header" and then another time got "Bad_Pool_Caller"... what the heck does this mean?

Go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram/hdd/page file.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :)

I recently fixed a problem exactly like this.

Boot to command prompt. Go to the Windows directory and type in "bootfix"

Let me know if it works.

to the "bootfix" idea. probably a good one, but the message that i got back was "'bootfix' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file".... any other ideas?

Just noticing that Howard has linked you to some useful info.... twice..... yet you haven't responded on how that went or posted your minidumps as he requests.

Why don't you give his advice a try and post back on how it goes?

hey thanks for everyone trying, but i found the receipt to my computer, and called future shop. they said the best thing to do is come back up with it... its got a 3 yr warranty so they'll fix or replace it. if they tell me the problem, i'll post it up here. thanx again

hey i'm back again. i never went to future shop.. i took some more advice and tried doing the whole mem test stuff.. turns out one of my ram chips is faulty.. i just contacted the company "elixir" and informed them about the defective product. hopefully i'll get a response. anyways thanks for all your help.

After all that as well lol.

Next time maybe you`ll follow the advice a bit sooner :p

Glad you now know what the problem is.

Regards Howard :)

well i did follow most advice.. just the mem test and swapping and that stuff took the most effort.. its in a pretty confined space and its hard to get at.. rather sit back and click on the mouse a few dozen times lol.. but yeah its all cool.. hopefully i don't have any problems now, or else its going to meet its maker :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back