Computer Keeps Restarting. Over and Over and Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all started trying to download the latest version of iTunes for my sons new iPod. (Never succeeded) Anyway I ended up trying to install SP2, as it said I needed it. I did that and it gave me an error and told me to uninstall it and reinstall. I ended up just cancelling it all and shut the PC down. This is just a family PC that the kids use and is a Compaq Presario, 5100 series I believe. OS is Win XP. The next day when my son went to start the computer up, it got to the windows xp screen, then a blank screen, then it just continuously kept restarting itself. I tried safe mode, I tried booting from last working state, nothing. It won't even let me get to the start up menu or desktop, just the continuous restarting. It was also making a weird, dull sounding wind up noise. I don't have any of the original software or an XP disk. I'd trash it, but we do have some family photos etc. on that PC so beating it with a bat is out. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not really that proficient with the techy stuff but any detailed help offered would be very cool.
Thanks

if its looping there its deffinetly a problem with windows or the HDD. but from the fact you say theres a wierd sound coming from the computer, more than likely its the HDD.
To retrieve your data i'd advise goin somewhere like pc world if ur in the UK and get a data retrievial or somethin like that.
other than that new HDD i'm affraid.

Have you consider changing the power source? That's what was wrong with my computer when it restarted like crazy. Another possible cause is the RAM. Remove one and start the computer if it's still doing it, remove the other and try again. This is just advice so don't expect it to cure your ill computer. Don't open the computer without switching and unplugging it!

maryadavis,
This is an old thread... Although changing the power supply is a good thing to do in this case, Lori38 is long gone

Oh, you are right. Silly me, surfing without looking. Thanks for the heads up. Anyway, maybe someone else will find the page still useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back