Computer Keeps Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchypoo

Ok, I figured out how to stop it from restarting, but everyone I try to log in in normal mode, I get this Blue Screen with the error 0x0000007E. The only way my computer works is in safe mode. Help please? I included my hijack this log file.

-- attached HJT removed -- Note to others: HJT was clean.

Please do not post HJT logs in any forum other than security and the web unless requested to do so, thanks :) - Spike

Your HJT log looks clean (as far as i can tell) except for that you may be missing some windows updates..

Navigate your way to C:\windows\minidump and zip up 5-6 of the most recent ones and attach them on your next post.

What environmental changes have occured recently? hardware/software etc?
what other symptoms are you also experiencing?
system specs?
have you updated your drivers recently?

0x7e could be from a number of things like a faulty ram or corrupted windows/device driver files..

Um, when I get to the minidump, what are the 5 to six things I need to zip up? and how do I zip up?Also, how do I attach them? Will that fix my problem? Also, I haven't installed any new hardware for a long time and there hasn't been that many changes in my computer until now.

In safe mode, go to Device Manager and unistall your video drivers. Now reboot and let Windows reinstall them. Then install the manufactures video drivers again.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, but whether it fixes the problem is another question entirely! :)

Perhaps you could upload those minidump files as requested earlier in the thread? That may well help to narrow it down significantly, helping us to help you.

The minidumps are located in c:\Windows\minidumps. Each file starts with "mini", and then the date of creation, followed by a number that says the order they were created in on that day (eg, Mini070305-01.dmp). Please coose the five or six newest ones.

zip them up with a program such as winzip or win rar by selecting a number of them, right clicking on a selected file, and choosing "add to archive".

Upload them by clicking the "manage attachments" button when you reply to the thread, browse to the zip file you just created, and click the upload button.

Then you need to turn on this function, To enable these:Right click on My Computer/Properties/Advanced tab/Startup and Recovery Settings. At the bottom in "Write debugging Information", scroll the window to Small memory dump (64K).

Hopefully uninstalling the display drivers and then rebooting and letting Windows reinstall default driver will work.

Oh ok. Um, where can I find the video drivers? When I got to device manager, I wasn't sure which was the video drivers. Also, if I unistall the driver, willI have to go online to find it, because I no longer have any installation cd's for my drivers and for windows.

Your video card drivers are under "display adaptors" tree inside the device manager.

You can obtain the latest set of drivers for your video card online, by visiting the manufacturer of your motherboard's (if its onboard), or the card's manufacturer/chipset maker (ATI/nVidia etc).

Otherwise, if you dont have them handy at that time then windows will reinstall the existing drivers again (with default settings) or if you did a cleanup the standard VGA drivers.

Ok, well I uninstalled and reinstalled my video driver and my computer still gets stuck at the blue screen in normal mode an I still get that error. I'm in safe mode right now. What do I do now?

If you have enabled minidumps as per the instructions for doing so, if your computer crashes it should now be generating the minidump files.

Your minidumps crash at vsdatant.sys. This is your Zonealarm firewall.

Down load the free Kerio firewall from HERE.

Diconnect from the net and uninstall Zonealarm from add remove programmes in your control panel. Reboot your system.

Install the Kerio Firewall programme and reboot your system.

Reconnect to the net and check for any updates for Kerio.

See how your system runs.

Regards Howard :)

It comes in the form of a fully functional 30 day trial of the commercial product. When the trial is up, it reverts back to the free product. (I think you pretty much just loose advertisment and pop-up blocking if I recall).

witchypoo said:
Oh ok. Is it a good firewall

Yes it`s a very good firewall. It`s just not as easy to use as Zonealarm. However, as long as it doesn`t crash your system, who cares lol.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back