Computer keeps restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btowngirl

Hi everyone, glad to be here I hope someone can help. I am currently recieving error messages from my computer after it has been hard restarting lately. Everytime I want to play my game, WoW, it seems like I get a restart. This is the first computer I have built and I wasnt having too many problems until I had a hard drive crash and I installed a brand new one. I have experimented with a friends game some new WWII game and I have the same problems, :( Everything on the computer is relatively new and I have downloaded the most current driver for my NVIDIA 7800 and I have an ASUS A8V motherboard. I think I have an AMD 64 processor, i want to say 3200 but Im not sure. The error message i most commonly recieve is error caused by a device driver, but a couple of time I have recieved a error message that says my power suppy mother board processor failed,something to that effect IO havent seen it for awhile. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks so much look forward to talking with you !!!

Navigate to C:/Windows/Minidump
post 5-6 of the most recent ones here, and someone will analyze it for you.

If its power, are you sure your PSU is meeting the requirements of the PC's total hardware? use this calculator to find out your minimum (add 50w for headroom)

Check the motherboard itself for any signs of damage/shorting like burn marks, stains, popped capacitors etc. If not already done so, update drivers for your motherboard..

here are the mindumps...

Also thank you very much fro responding! I tried that claculator you posted it looks like i'm doing fine with that. I was wondering also If im using a big LCD TV as my monitor as well could that affect my computer 32-inch samsung?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidumps crash with various culprits and bugchecks. This is a sign of a hardware problem, possibly ram.

Go HERE and follow the instructions. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Well I've done just about everything on your FAQ, very informative btw. Cleaned and blown out the system, ran a disk check, Im doing the defrag now, the only thing I havent been able to do is the metest b/c I dont have a floppy and for some reason my burners not working either. Just one problerm after another I guess. Anyways, after each step I have tried to play again and the same restarts keep happening *sigh* Thanks for all your help I really appreciated it.

Um, I think so I will go ask. I'll let you know when I have it. Btw, once i get it on a disk all I need to do is restart the comp and boot the disk correct?

You need to make sure you boot priority is set to boot from cd-rom first, followed by your hard drive. You can check/set this in your bios.

Memtest86+ once downloaded should be unzipped once and the resulting file burned to a cd as an image. The burning software will have instructions on how to burn an image.

Then, with the cd in the drive, reboot your computer. Memtest should run automatically. Let it run for at least seven full passes. This will take quite some time. Memtest will run indefinitely until you stop it.

Regards Howard :)

Well, i have memtest running atm, should I be doing anything in particular, or should I just let it do its thing for awhile? So far no errors.

hmm well scratch that last post, I dont really know how to intrpret the screen could you give me some hints?

ok well I think I'm on pass 0 and i see a lot of red
what i see is
tst pass failing address good bad err-bits count chan
5 0 and a bunch of stuff under all these other headings
sorry i sound like such an ***** I'll wait till 7 ull passes before i post again

Take a look at the screen shots of Memtest HERE.

In the middle of the screen you will see the Number of passes under pass and the number of errors(if any) under errors.

Faulty ram it is then lol.

If you`re running more than one stick or ram, remove one of them and retest with memtest. If you still get errors try the otherstick of ram on it`s own and test again. Whichever stick gives you errors is the faulty stick of ram.

If you`re only running one stick of ram, then you need to replace it.

Ok I will do that, again thank you so much for all your help!! One question, why did I only get the resarts when playing a videogame? When browsing or doing other mundane things on the comp i never had a problem? Is it because doing minor things on a computer doesn't use all the memory?

When you play a video game, you`re stressing the ram far more than you would when browsing the net etc. Also as you say, your using more ram.

However, I`ve seen cases of faulty ram where the computer is idle. Go Figure.

Well I have a small update, when ran memtest with all 4 sticks of 512 I received oodles of errors, so i tested each stick individually and i had no errors... So now what Im doing is testing 2 sticks at a time, 1 in the first blue slot and the 2nd in 3 slot that is also blue and I am recieving errors. Would you have me do anything different to test this?

I`ve seen this problem lots of times, where ram will be ok on it`s own, but not when run with other sticks.

I think this is down to one of two possibilities. Either the ram isn`t compatible with the mobo or the mobo is faulty in some way.

Your testing proceedure is ok.

Check with your mobo manual or with your mobo manufacturers website for supported ram.

Are all your sticks of ram identical?

If not, that could be part of your problem as it`s not a good idea to mix different brands/speeds/sizes of ram sticks.

Can you give us details of your psu? We need to know what brand and wattage it is and how many amps it delivers on the 12volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

Did you use the psu wattage calculator N3051M suggested. If so, what were the results?

Also, I`d like you to download the free Everest programme from HERE. Run the programme and click the large computer icon in the righthand pane, followedd by the sensor icon in the right hand pane. Let us know the results of Temperature and voltages please.

Just let us know what Everest says your voltages are at.

However, I don`t think with your psu that`s the problem, unless of course the psu is faulty.

You need to check with your mobo manufacturers whether your mobo supports that particular brand of ram.

Edit: I didn`t see your last post when I posted this. You should still check with your mobo manufacturers.

Yeah temps are fine, so perhaps in your opinion do you think its the memory or the board that it messed up? perhaps the easiest, but not necessarily cheapest fix would be to buy some new memory. It has been difficult for me to find memory compatibilty on ASUS web-site so Im not really sure if my memory is compatible, sigh...once again thanks for all your time and effort i owe you big time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back