Computer keeps restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie06

Hello everyone,

I was browsing online looking for some technical help with my pc and came across this site. I'm always looking for someones brain to pick over one problem or another so hopefully I may find some answers here. At the moment my pc keeps on rebooting itself, and if i do manage to get onto anything, then more often than not it says the computer has recovered from a serious error and needs to close. I formatted it a few weeks ago and it was running great, I run regular scans with AVG, ad-aware and spybot S&D and I dont think ive picked up any viruses, but am not sure where to go next. Oh yeah, I done a system restore yesterday, back to last week when it was running ok, but this does not seem to have helped. Could Limewire cause these types of problems as I have recently downloaded it? Any suggestions???

Cheers for the replies...lol!!! Well despite not hearing anything I thought I'd update you on my problem. I done a defrag last night, not really expecting it to change much but I was just clutching at straws a bit, trying to think of any way to make the pc run better. Don't ask me how but up to now my problem seems to have gone! I spoke to my brother who's quite clued up in this area, and he didnt seem to understand why that would solve it...but there's been a noticable difference, and it hasnt restarted itself since? Strange, I know...but true!
I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

Have you recently installed any new software? If so then try reinstalling it.
Have you recently installed any new hardware? If so then check the drivers.
Always take these steps first for problems like this.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply. I've been into device manager and two thing were highlighted with the yellow exclaimation mark. One was thr RAID controller which i've managed to reinstall from my motherboard disc, the other is USB device, and i do not seem to be able to sort this. It is not finding it on the motherboard disc, and i've looked on the windows update page but I cant see any drivers to be installed? Any ideas what I could try to eliminate this problem?

the first thing u need to do is get it to quit restarting

if u goto control panel ,system,advanced tab,startup and recovery

under system fail,uncheck auto restart

The USB drivers is inbuilt into window's set of drivers. Remove any non-essential USB devices and hubs from your PC and then go back to Device Manager and Remove anything under that branch relating to USB Root Hub, Controller etc. Reboot and let it reinstall itself, then plug in your devices one by one untill you find the problem again then you can find a workaround to it.

If you have any .dmp files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder, zip up 5 of them and post them up here. If you don't have any, follow triiifasions' steps to get to that section, and also in the same window enable "Write Dump Files" or similar.

Thank you for your replies. The pc seemed to stabalize a bit with the restarting itself so I was able to try some of your suggestions. I have now got rid if the yellow exclaimation marks in device manager by following the steps you said. Ive found the folder full of minidumps but am not sure how to zip them up and post them. Sorry if this seems a bit thick, i'm finding my way as I go and it's not something i've done before. So far so good though...it seems to be running ok at the moment. Thanks very much for the help, I'm hoping it's sorted now...time will tell!!!

Well its great you got it stable now..

If you still want to post those minidumps up here to confirm what those problems were then go back to the folder and either sort them out into Dates then pick the 5 most recent ones (they are formated like this: MiniMMDDYY-NN.dmp M=Month, D=Day, Y=Year, N=number created on the day. Eg: Mini091006-01.dmp) or right click on a blank space on the window>Arrange Icons>Modified

You can do this two ways. First is that when you write a new post (not quick reply), click on "Manage attatchments" at the middle/bottom of the page then just point the "Upload" directory box to it then upload it. Max of 5 .dmp files or 100kb total (whatever is comes first) can be uploaded this way.
Second way is to go back to the Minidump folder and hold CTRL button while selecting the ones you want to ZIP. After selecting the ones you want, over one of the selected ones right click ontop its icon >Send To> Compressed Folder. Then like the first one, upload by going to the manage attatchments then pointing it to the .zip file you've created>upload etc. Same restriction rules apply (5 files or 100kb).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back