"Computer locked" Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Hello, it's the oldest forums member,......or am I?
When I leave my PC on, unattended for an extended time, say, for a lengthy download, I come back to a black screen. When I move the mouse or hit a key, a notice is there saying something like;- " This computer is active & locked, only an administrator or support group can access this computer"
I don't mind telling you, I went straight into panic mode, & sat there fuming, thinking what NOW???
After having a good chew at my nails, & breaking a couple of pencils [not really] I thought, what the hell, & clicked on "OK" & voila!!....I was back on, what was all that about? I keep thinking that one day it will REALLY lock me out!
Another query, how do I increase the time I stay on-line? I know it can be done because I had it done for me, I am now on 10 minutes, how can I increase this, & is it advisable to do so?

Go into control panel > display options and then the screen saver tab. See the option "require password to resume" that's it...

When you leave your computer it locks itself to avoid unauthorized poeple from tampering with it (remember that Windows NT4.0, 2000, XP and 2003 are corporate OS'es...)

Same thing happens when you press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and select lock computer...

Not sure I understand your second Q.. If you are on dial-up and mean how long before you get disconnected; go into control panel > Internet Options click the tab "Connections" and then click on the button settings, in there you can set those options...

Re;- my last message

Thanks Per, you finish your first answer with "that's it" I presume I then choose between two alternatives? I'm a bit nervous of cocking it up, & why do you think it lets me back on-line so easily? another Microsoft glitch?....plenty of those!
As to your second answer, re time on-line, that's fine, but what about staying on TOO long? my £20/hour help said it might tie-up the Internet too much, does this matter, or is it a matter of protocol/principle?
Thanks for being patient, Per, I am "getting on", bright for my age, but not so confident as you young 'uns, I need your assurance.
Thanks [great place, Sweden]

This might sound silly but just in case you don't know, there's no need to double post. It would be better to reply to the original thread and not flood the section with new similar threads.

young & wild, please note!

Yes, young & wild, it DOES sound silly, nobody on the staff at TS has said anything about posting a new thread, & "flooding the section with new posts, they don't seem to mind [TP staff, has y& w got a relevant point here, or is he talking out of his.....?] connected to the previous one, surely if I "reply", I am replying to my own message? I have done this before & got results, so butt out [in the nicest possible way, of course]

Got your drift, Oz, apology accepted, it's just that my hackles rise easily these days. [getting old] By the way, looking at the wording in your post, HAVE they got good schools over there? I know that your people are more laid back than us stiff-necked Poms, but......?? [no offence intended]

If you are staying connected and actively using the internet, I'm confused as to why they would tell you that would clog it. I mean its your perogative (sp?)..your paying for it right?

I can see why they would want you to disconnect when not actively using it as that can create unnecessary traffic and tie up lines.

You say your "old" and not as confident as us young'ns....but personally (not knowing your age) think its great to see you trying to gain this knowledge!!

Best of luck! :)

Thanks, Puter Geek Girl, I got a laptop & started surfing about a year ago. I lost my dear wife six years ago, to cancer,...age?, I'm 72, but as I said before on TP, I have been told that have the mind of a 40 year old! Only today, I had to help out a friend, he is very computer literate, & 10 years younger than me, but didn't know how to get rid of the latest bug. Tomorrow I am lending him a floppy to get rid of it! You joined TP about the same time as me, was it, like me, & many others because of the virus?....great site isn't it? [what's it like living inside your head?]
As to length of time on the internet, you are right, I'm paying, even if it is only £12.99/month & no phone calls to pay for.
'Bye C.G.G., & thanks again.

Originally posted by Maurice
Got your drift, Oz, apology accepted, it's just that my hackles rise easily these days. [getting old] By the way, looking at the wording in your post, HAVE they got good schools over there? I know that your people are more laid back than us stiff-necked Poms, but......?? [no offence intended]

For your info, English is my second language, i m originally from Brunei.

Sorry, Young & Wild, I took it that you were Australian, as you were living there. Just looked at your profile, WOW!! you are obviously a complete "Computer Buff" with all that professional stuff you have! I think your given name gave me the wrong impression, "never judge a book by it's title" is a good axiom, me, I am 72, [birthdate in my profile is wrong, I was born in 1931, have a look, not very impressive]
Once again my apologies, & I hope you do well in life, you're obviously trying very hard.

No worries, mate. I m not that kind of complete buff Lol....As usual still lots of lesson ahead in computer and not to mention life too.

Its great to have another senior citizen on board. I am sure everyone is looking forward to this. So please try to make yaself feel comfortable and enjoy :).

Originally posted by Maurice
Thanks, Puter Geek Girl, I got a laptop & started surfing about a year ago. I lost my dear wife six years ago, to cancer,...age?, I'm 72, but as I said before on TP, I have been told that have the mind of a 40 year old! Only today, I had to help out a friend, he is very computer literate, & 10 years younger than me, but didn't know how to get rid of the latest bug. Tomorrow I am lending him a floppy to get rid of it! You joined TP about the same time as me, was it, like me, & many others because of the virus?....great site isn't it? [what's it like living inside your head?]
As to length of time on the internet, you are right, I'm paying, even if it is only £12.99/month & no phone calls to pay for.
'Bye C.G.G., & thanks again.

Nope, didn't join cuz of the virus, luckily my network at work AND at home have both been virus free! :grinthumb Just came here to be a member of yet ANOTHER geek related site.....since I do this stuff for a living I am constantly in need of information and assistance.

Whats it like living inside my head....well its a pretty messed up place, as I am somewhat of a mental case....I would have to be in order to survive in this field!!!!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back