Computer locking up in large downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

It's weird, my system, with ADSL and routered with another computer in my house, is crashing on large downloads (i.e 100megs+)

Tonight I tried to download a game from Gigex, at 75% and 300 some megs my computer froze. Tried it again and same results.

Any ideas? If they support resumed downloads that would help, I've now got a 300 meg file sitting here.

It could be a problem with timeouts. If you don't get the download done in time, it will cut you off. One thing you can try is to get a download manager that allows you to resume your downloads. Download Accelerator Plus, StarDownloader, or any other.

Weird, timeouts locking up a computer? I'm not sure if I can resume the download, as it comes straight off Gigex, which gives you a little propreitary Java download box.

In that case it may be your Java acting up.

Are you doing something during the download or does the computer idle?

It can't hurt getting the latest official java VM from Sun.

I'm doing nothing, I left it and came back to find out it had hardlocked 15 mins ago. I do have the latest one from Sun, just went there two days ago after my latest format for my new HDD.

I have version 2, build 1.4.2 of Java.

In that case, it may be your computer trying to go on standby/hibernation/screensaver/whatever. Try disabling all this sort of things in power management setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back