Computer loses web connection daily, returns on restart

agathosdaimon

Hi
I am sorry, I dont know what category this goes into exactly - web? laptop? windows?

each day for the past week when I turn my laptop on after about 15-30 minutes I lose all internet connection on it, despite all other devices in the house being still perfectly connected. I have had my laptop since late 2015 and have never encountered this before. I have turned the modem on and off (Optus ADSL) and have just done the wifi troubleshoot/reset thing on my laptop. I have done a dns flush also , and also cleared my firefox cache- all to no avail.
nothing works to get my internet back until untl I restart my computer and then the problem does not return again until the next day.

the odd things to note which leave just confused as to what the cause is also are: despite losing all web connection, the little internet connection icon still says I am connected to the internet and likewise when I open the network and sharing center it still says I am connected.

Also on some occasions the internet dropped out when I went to my outlook.com inbox in firefox so I thought it was somethign to do with my cache or something but I dont think now it is specific to outlook.com

any ideas as to what this could be, what else can I try to do to find out the cause ?

thank you!

Find your network adapter in Device Manager. Double click on it and check in the Power Management section. There is usually a tick box for whether or not you want Windows to be able to turn off the device to save power. That's to conserve the battery. I had that problem once with my laptop and it took quite a while to find what it was. Hopefully, it's that straightforward for you.

Thank you for your reply. I have gone to the setting and found the option and unticked it. I am hoping this may do the trick! I guess I will have to find out tomorrow, as the problem only ever happens after I have turned on my laptop the first time each day (it is odd also that it is so fixed to happening just upon the frist startup specifically each day)

Just a query though, if it is the case that windows turns my network device off to save power, why would my connection status in the toolbar still be saying I have internet connection? is it the case that windows powers down teh adapter to such a low activity state so as to be unusable?

You computer is connecting to the ISP gateway with a LEASE on the IP address which lasts 24hrs - -very typical; mine does too. The problem is the protocol Release/Renew is not getting another DHCP assignment and/or new DNS addresses.

[edit]
For all network profiles (private,domain,public), the windows firewall must have these enabled:
  • core networking - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DCHP-out)
  • core networking - Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP-out)
and is recommended to have this disabled:
  • core networking - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DCHPV6-out)
If the above is already set, then be sure to have the latest firmware installed in your router.

You prove your system is operating correctly by running the Release / Renew process manually:
  • login as Admin
  • get a command prompt
  • type IPCONFIG / RELEASE
  • followed by IPCONFIG /RENEW Et*
  • now PING WWW.GOOGLE.COM
this tests the PC and it's firewall

Similarly, we need to do likewise inside the router to force the ISP connection to be reset:
  • login the router itself using the GATEWAY address as a URL
  • (in my case http://192.168.0.1/)
  • enter the user / password required
  • here's the hard part; finding the WAN side settings which will have the RELEASE & RENEW buttons. That page will also show the current lease obtained and expires date-times
  • click RELEASE and all wan side values evaporate
  • click RENEW and you get all values established
  • if any do not, you STILL have a problem with the router firmware
[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
the odd things to note which leave just confused as to what the cause is also are: despite losing all web connection, the little internet connection icon still says I am connected to the internet and likewise when I open the network and sharing center it still says I am connected.
Get a command prompt and enter these two:
if the first returns three lines of timing data AND the last timesout or reports "can not be found"
THEN you have an IP address ok but you're missing the DNS address.
See the above post for a possible solution.

Is all that down to the internet provider? If so, please let me know which one in case I ever make the mistake of switching to them. :)

Is all that down to the internet provider? If so, please let me know which one in case I ever make the mistake of switching to them. :)
BOTH pings go all the way to their 'destinations', so they go beyond just the ISP.
Secondly, you can use ANY known IP address or website domain names.

The ping 8.8.8.8 tests the IP connection without accessing DNS, so this proves at least 'ISP connectivity'.

When pinging a domain name, we're asking DNS to get the ip address and then follow thru by pinging the address returned. As our browsers use English names, they always access DNS and thus the test is effective.

Thanks Jobeard also - I had seen a post somewhere else from you on similar issues and I even did that thing where you would stipulating multiples of 8 -

but all this aside, I have done what bass2004 had suggested and today my internet connection didnt drop out - soooo I will see how it goes, may be it was a power setting or something - I dont know why it would be an issue now but any how, I will see how it goes , and faling that come back to this thread and look into more what Jobeard has detailed out above!

Hi !

So the suggestion from Bass2004 has seemed to fine up to now - just this morning the problem happened again,

I tried something that I had neglected before, I switched off my avast premier av and after this the internet reconnected straight away - what does this mean?
also once the internet reconnected Avast itself seemed to have completely stopped responding, it no longer could be accessed at all, no matter what I clicked on to reopen it, it would not even bring up the right click menu in the toolbar, yet its icon was still there - I find this concerning, naturally I did a restart once more so now I am back online and with avast going so it seems,

how do I get to the root of the problem here, what is causing avast to interrupt my internet connection and then itself stop working? am I under attack?

Make sure you only use the Avast Basics and not the DNS, Firewall or VPN.

I am not sure what the Avast DNS is or where I check if it is on, but I noticed that I do have teh Avast Firewall on - why wouldnt I want to have that on? I dont have the secureline avast vpn set up

This is a very easy one. In general, if a security program causes you problems download a replacement program, uninstall the one with issues and install the replacement. The Windows Firewall is more than adequate for most users and it works well for me. I gave up on propriety firewalls because they were not install and forget. It was too much hassle giving particular sites and programs permission to work through the firewall. I hesitate to recommend a security solution because it's very much a case of what works well for me at the time. I swapped from Bit Defender free to Panda free a couple of months ago and will do so again if there are any glitches or if it slows down my computing. My recommendation is that Security solutions are something to be decided on an ad hoc basis rather than reviews though the latter can be helpful in narrowing the field of choice. There is no need to pay for security programs as so much good stuff is free to home users.

Most fundamental: A system can run, AT MOST, one {Firewall, Antivirus} at a time OR there will be conflicts.
We see many different AV programs with different features, so we grab a few - - that's find - - you can never have too many tools.
However, only allow ONE to autostart and use the otheres if/when necessary with a manual start, being sure to STOP your autostarted program.

Advast controls are in the application - - launch it with RUNAS /USER:ADMINISTRATOR

the windows FW is in services and should already be started

Back