Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknight705

well,
i have an HPx4000
and i tried switching the ATI Fire GL2 that it came with
with my ATI Radeon 9800
and now i cant get any picture,
and the hard drive is making all these wierd noises.
can someone help please??

Well the first thing that needed to be done was to uninstall the old drivers for your Fire GL2, then shut down and plug in the 9800, then reboot. This should get everything to work propelry, as long as the 9800 in in good working condition.

I would suggest putting in your old Fire GL2 and see if it boots again. If it does, make sure when you replace with the 9800 everything is seated properly. If it is, try checking the 9800 in another system to be sure it actually works. Beyond that I"m not sure what to tell you.

well,
i have an HPx4000
and i tried switching the ATI Fire GL2 that it came with
with my ATI Radeon 9800
and now i cant get any picture,
even when i put the fire gl2 back in.
and the hard drive is making all these wierd noises.
can someone help please??

recall your installation procedure. how did you handle the computer and it's parts? what did you touch or change/mess with besides the video card?

usually when a hard drive makes 'weird' noises (generally identified as clicking, grinding) it is an indication that the drive has failed or is failing.

Try booting in Safe Mode. Press F8 a few times when starting.
Then uninstall any Video drivers you can find and install the basic VGA drivers from Windows.
See if the PC boots with either card. Whichever one works, keep it in there and install the corresponding new drivers for it.

the thing is that im not getting any picture, and then the harde drive sounds like its shutting down and starting up again.

Originally there were 2 threads that were identical but in seperate forums, I have merged them.

Now to answer your question. If you hd is doing wierd things, its almost certainly dead. Check the power connection to it, and the cable. But if its making noises louder than normal, its dead or dying. Try it in another computer, I think its odd, but not impossible that nothing is comming on the screen at all. Perhaps just remove the hard drive completely, a computer will post without a hd, and that will toss stuff up on the screen if your card/monitor work.

yeah, i tried that.
still no picture.
im getting nothing at all.
and its got this wierd hard drive.
i dont have another one like it.

Sounds Like an ESD'd Mobo/HDD

I don't suppose you grounded yourself before opening your case? For your hard drive (HDD) to fail, and neither video card to work, both immediately after you started trying to replace parts, sounds like you zapped your system with some Electro Static Discharge.

Only you can prevent ESD...

Yah that sounds like and ESD greebly to me try the GPU cards in another system then if they work... they work, I would say the harddrive is a dead duck not enen I.T. techs spend alot of time with harddrives as all your work should be backed up several times... They just crack and toss the drive I would take the drive apart and trash drive asmuch as you can and replace that try using another GPU card in you computer remember to tur the system off unplug it the hold that power button for about 10 secs crack the case and do your work allways hold one to the inside frame of the case to stay grounded and where all cotton no wool silk nylon, rayon or anything like that. Cotton and or Hemp cloth are all that you should where when working on computers do not work on them standing on carpet either and dont move anymore then needed get all your tools and part in arms reach of where you will be working. the human body cannot feel ESD under 3000 volts at 30 volts you can kill computer parts and even less on newer systems.

If you smoke around your computer and you shocked it you sould consider the system dead or soon to be dead; as the tar on the mobo will conduct accross the entire mobo.

ESD is not a computer's friend at in anyway.

Secondgunman said:
...remember to tur the system off unplug it the hold that power button for about 10 secs crack the case and do your work allways hold one to the inside frame of the case to stay grounded...

Where do you think you are grounded to?

the thing to do is leave it plugged in but turn off the power switch on the back of the supply. the ground circuit stays intact but there is no power. it's easier then unplugging the supply lots of times.

My Bad...

It is not a true ground but what will happen is you dissapate the static to the floor as long as you are holding the case if you let go of the case and then touch it again you may shock the system... the best thing to do would be to go buy the proper ground work mat and static wrist gaurd... or I know people that have taken old power bars and cliped the positive and negative leads off leaving the ground pin then you pulg into this and the wall and tape the bar to the service outlet, I would not do this it may come back to hunt you and I am would not tell anyone ot modify something to do that kind of job.

keeping a good humidity level having all your stuff right there and even more so having ground mats is the best but if you dont have them keep you feet planted, not on carpet. I was once told in another forum that if you have something els that runs on a 3 prong, take a jumper and connect the two frames to ground out the system you are working on, this tech allso said the other computer or what ever should be OFF when doing this... I have not realy looked into this but it may be a simple and safer way to "Jerry-rig" a ground as you just need wire that you can fix to the two systems fermly with gator clips or tape and this would be a passive ground as the other computer frame is only conected to the ground.

As far as working with an ATX system you always have power to the Mainboard if it is pluged into a service outlet and there are people killed every year working this way and hundreds of Mainboards and other parts cooked because people work like this. You want to have a passive ground... I would use the gound jerry rig idea before having a system plugged in when working on it as the most reasent A+ books are telling you not to ever work on a system plugged as there is still power sent to the mainboards.

If you think I am pulling your leg leave your system plugged in turn it off, open it up, find where your power button leads to, it will be a point on the Motherboard, pull the leads off the motherboard and use a #1 or 2 flathead and jump the two pins... now tell me what is happening on you monitor. your sytem is booting the power controls are not solid by any safety standard, aside form India... (Indian safety standards are low if there are any at all) As long as there is power going to you r PSU you have power os the Motherboard.

Either way it is your life and your computer and nomater what you do remeber this be carefull and look at what you are making contact with, every part of you your tools and the computer parts you are working on and a around... That and unplug SATA drives any time you work around them they brake easy and last thing you need to be doing is running around the city looking for Lapage model glue and then very carfully placing the lead plate back on flush with the pins without getting the glue on the pins, I did that once and never again... It is off topic but a good thing to know.

Over here in the UK most outlets are switched. Turning them off at the wall means there is no power to the PSU.

you can ground to anything that has an ability to conduct electricity into the ground, within reason. just ground the system, then ground yourself to the system, and you'll be fine.

Yah we have switched outlets in Canada

Yah we have switched outlets here in Canada in the better build homes that is what I do working on my main system as they are in a older part of the home that has switches, I love it not only because of this but each room has on service socket with one outlet they has constent power for a clock or what ever and in the kids room there is a master switch high on the wall so a bed time you flip the switch and that is that no tv on lights to play with no nothing as three yearolds love to play with buttons and switches... I love it someone was thinking when they build my home... But my home was built almost 70 years ago by a very famous (as far as my town goes) Cop and you can tell he put thought into building the home as all wires run up the center of the house in easy to work with ducts that have pannels to get into and direct wires where they have to go these ducts are so large you can run 11 coax cables in them with 4 Cat 6 and still have room for more.
But yah It is nice to flip a switch Like that it should be a standard in North America as it makes things alot safer and would make those stupid little child safty plugs useless.

I like the idea of being able to switch the sockets off in the kids room. As for the ducting - a dream, for most of us. All new builds (and it has been this way for a while) have Residual Current Devices (used to be call Earth Leakage Breakers) on the socket outlets making them very safe.

Wallow in your ducts. :)

You can always attach a wire to the case, or yourself through an anti static strap and attach the other end to a good ground like a cold water pipe.

OK!... Re: first post

The hard drive making odd sounds could be that a it is about to blow up like a Deathstar or it is not connected well just take a boo in the system and make sure it is connected proper just use even pressure and press on the data cable.

The monitor could be that your video driver is bad lost or needs updating, it could be that the monitor GPU or even your systemboard is failing it maybe the PSU but not as proable.

Most of these are not very probable but they are all posible try to borrow parts if you don't have the spare parts, and keep yourself grounded.

Why do I get the sinking feeling that this attempted video card swap was done while the system was still on? ...it's now 1:24 am my time.. yar.

-A-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back