Computer Monitor recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenique

Okay, I have decided to ask techspot a question about what computer monitor to buy. For the past 4 years I've owned a 17" medion LCD monitor. It's old, but reliable. recently with new games, they resolution needs to be changed in game to support more monitor's max LCD resolution. I use my monitor for everything, including my XBOX 360.

What I am looking for is a monitor with a MAXIMUM price of 260 USD. Preferrable I would like an HD monitor. Though I have heard that computer monitors have a better resolution than TVs. Which means I'd like a monitor that will display HD so I can use it with my XBOX 360. I'd like to use my Xbox 360 at a 1080i resolution at least. But I do realize that computer monitors are better resolution that TVs. I DO see Computer monitors on newegg that are more expensive than normal monitors, and say they are HDMI. Could someone explains why these monitors are more expensive if computer monitors already display better resolution than an HDTV, wouldn't 1080p and 1080i be low resolutions?

Can anyone recommend a monitor that I may use with my XBOX 360 to achieve HD or better images? If I need an additional cable if the monitor does not say HDMI, can you link me to one?

In short I am looking for a monitor that will: Play my XBOX 360 games in HD resolution, take full advantage of my 8800GTS 640, and is widescreen.

THANK YOU!

OH! sorry for the double post, but I am hoping for the console to be able to display a 1080p or 1080i resolution, which I know the 360 can do. thats all :D

First things first

Get the appropiate video card for LCD connection.
I have an ATI 9600.
You need a non wide screen that might support 1080p x 1080i
Square video displays are new to me.I have a 22 " Vision Quest 1680 x 1050,wide screen.
But mine seem to adjust to the software although its set to 1680 x 1050.
Best if you know someone doing this.
==========================================
$ 350 CDN + $ 30 if you don't get a DVI-D cable included.
Don't use an Analog cable or converter if you
want a real HD monitor.

zipperman said:
Get the appropiate video card for LCD connection.
I have an ATI 9600.
You need a non wide screen that might support 1080p x 1080i
Square video displays are new to me.I have a 22 " Vision Quest 1680 x 1050,wide screen.
But mine seem to adjust to the software although its set to 1680 x 1050.
Best if you know someone doing this.
==========================================
$ 350 CDN + $ 30 if you don't get a DVI-D cable included.
Don't use an Analog cable or converter if you
want a real HD monitor.

Can you explain what you mean in the second part of your message?

In answer to,"Preferrable I would like an HD monitor"
My second part explains,
Thats what i paid for and bought to achieve that.
But if you have an LCD you probabably have that already.
Does it have 2 connection options ? If so one would be HD.
But you need a HD video card.
Proper name of both is,
DVI-D with HDCP.Read your manuals and connection booklets.
Go to websites to read about their connections.

Don't know about comparative cost (I'm in the UK), but for convenience you should consider something with a DVI-D connection (for your PC) and a Component/HDMI connection (for the X Box). Anything with a resolution of at least 1920 x 1080 will cover all your HD needs, but might be a bit over your budget. A monitor that covers this will be the only thing you'll need for a while!!

yes I do have an HD video card, the 8800GTS booklet says so. The video card itself has 2 DVI-D ports. monitor wise I will need something that's VGA and DVI, since the xbox cable only delivers VGA.

Unfortunately, the monitor will not be capable of playing back 1080p as the maximum resolution is 1680 x 1050. You need something that will play a minimim of 1920 x 1080 (this is most typically a monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 such as the next BenQ monitor up the range - http://benq.us/products/LCD/?product=671 )

Okay, now that that's out of the way. I know the XBox 360 HD VGA cable can only transmit up to 720p according to other customers that bought it. The new Xbox 360's have a built in HDMI output which means that they do not use the component HD A/V cable. My 360 uses the component cables. I DO have a component HD AV cable, but I never use it because of my lack of an HDTV. I am wondering if you know of a cable that will transfer the stereo audio, video, and YPrPb HD cables into an HDMI cable. Something like that probably exists I just don't know what it would be called. But again I need something that will attach all 6 of the cables on the component HD A/V cable to a converter that will convert it to an HDMI cable.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back