Computer mucked up while resizing partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughands

Gah, this sucks.. I almost had a heart attack when I went to resize my Windows partiton.. all was going well and then suddenly it was error'd and had to reboot.

So now I'm stuck with Windows attempting to boot, then telling me there was problem last time, select an option. I do and it reboots, and loops. Ideas?
Formatting is an option I can see, I don't mind it but its not something I want to have to consider.

If the partition is mucked up as seems to be the case, then formatting is certainly the best and easiest option.

You could always try putting the drive in another system as a slave drive and see if you can retrieve any important files etc, before you format it it.

Gillian

All files that are important are on an external media, is it certain once formatted I can do this? I would love two partitions if this can be done :) Windows XP & Ubuntu.

Yes, formatting the drive is best and you can partition the drive at the same time. Trying to partition a drive that currently has an OS is always a risky business.

I would have posted a link for you, unfortunately I seem to need to have 5 posts in order to do so.

Gillian

Well, I'd appreciate a link. You could post after this, then edit your post :).

I'd love to reinstall Windows XP, I have a key but no CD... so that's a difficult thing. I only got a Linux CD.

Oh, I know how to format. It's the thing about formatting without a Windows XP disc.. I'd like to get my machine up tonight and search for my disk tommrow.. but then is installing Linux then dual booting Windows beside it difficult?

Alright, I had never defragged before and I know that was a dumb mistake to try and resize without defragging... so yeah. I can just format it with my Linux CD now then?

It appears to be easier to install Windows XP then Linux, so I'll probably do that.. how long does Windows XP usually take to install itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back