Computer not booting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

Hi all.

I am having this strange problem with my computer at the moment.
The computer boots, and the DVD drives light up, alhtough the monitor is not powering up at all...
I have switched video cards, monitor's and reset the BIOS by removing the battery. Nothing works.

I installed a new CPU, (3.06ghz) and windows didnt want to boot. I tried safe mode and it would hang on Mup.sys
I understand that this has somthing to do with the power managment system. I repaired the windows installation from the CD and things were looking up.
I would then get random reboots, and blue screens. I managed to geta bout 1/2 hour of the far cry demo in, then it BSOD and claimed that there was a IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOT_LESS_NOT_EQUAL. <--- Something like that anyway

What could be causing this? I am thinking that it has something to do with the power sub-system, although I cant imagine that the system would boot, if that was the problem.

Please help me with this one guys, Im desperate.

I suspect faulty ram and or faulty cdrom.
CDROM must be perfect to install windows and may not install properly if it is not set as master (not slave).
Code:
http://home.kooee.com.au/kingull/stablexp.html

Thanks for the reply,

I can install windows ok, the system just wont boot at all...
I was thinking RAM, doe to some of the figures when I got the blue screens.

With that in mind, I cant see how putting a faster CPU in the system can burn out the RAM..

I have also seen the error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOT_LESS_NOT_EQUAL
due to IRQ conflicts. I recommend removing extra periferal, or booting windows (if possible) and accessing the System Information, IRQ window. I will included instructions below to access this. But you will want to remove PCI sound card, modem, nic, etc. Verify fromt he mother board manual that the extra cards are in unused/unshared slots.

Give us the MoBo manufacturer and model and I would be happy to see if the manual will tell you the used and shared PCI slots.

System Information:
1) From the Start Menu, select Programs, select Accessories, select System Tools, and click System Information
2) Expand Hardware Resources, and click to select IRQs
[NOTE:] The only thing I let share, is the USB Host controller. Move any cards to a different PCI slot if they are sharing with another onboard periferal.

Hope this helps,

Bug

Maybe it's your video card?
How much wattage is your Power supply?

Go into System Information > Device Manager > View > Show Hidden System Devices

Check to see if there's some exclamation mark by something.

If I were you, I'd swap power supplies and test that. For a P4, I wouldn't go under a 300W.

Second, put in your old CPU and see if everythings OK. If it is, your new CPU must be partially dead (or power supply).

IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOT_LESS_NOT_EQUAL

I've seen that error twice on two different computers, both had defective memory.

Putting in a faster proccessor wouldnt hurt Ram, you havent overclocked it have you?

I had that error only when I was shutting down because I installed crappy drivers for my sound card. Removing it from the Hidden Devices fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back