Computer not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

idunno

ok i know there is tons of these threads but this one is a little beefier..
Got an old hp pavilion 742c, 2 sticks of 256, onboard video, and a pent 4 2.0ghz proc.
now here's the thing. the cpu fan cycles off after varying times, withen 2 seconds or 10 seconds ( long enough for me to get a image on the monitor of the splash screen). When i take the ram out, i get the persistant beeping sound and the cpu fan constantly runs. i removed everything out of the pci and tried using each stick of ram solo, no HDD or anything plugged in. same thing upon further investigation, there is some corrosion on a few capacitor's right next to the CPU
the board is very clean for its age, and it was runing perfectly before it sat for a couple of years.
now i know you're all going its dead, and if so, is it posible under low heat to re-solder the capacitors? and if i didn't mention the corrosion on the capacitors, any suggestions? PSU?

EDIT:the HDD spins when powered as well

The motherboard is bad...

Those corroded caps need to be replaced not resoldered. There is a website www.badcaps.com They will show you how to replace the caps or they will do it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back