TechSpot

Computer not booting

By McBastard
Sep 30, 2004
  1. Hey guys, I just installed a new mobo w/ new cpu and ram. I double checked all my power cables (the main power and the four pin connector). When I plug in the main power cable the LED light on the mobo turns on however when i press the power switch nothing happens. I've tried the screwdriver trick on connecting the pins and nothing happens.

Here's my specs:

Pentium 4 3.2ghz
    500mb 400mhz ddr
    80gb western digital master
    40gb imb slave
    52x cd drive
    intel d865perl mobo
    radeon 9700 pro
    soundblaster audigy gamer

One of my computer tech friends suggested that when I plugged everything into it at once the board may have surged. He suggested to just leave it everything unplugged and in half an hour try to boot just the mobo with the cpu).

2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

You might want to to do a bench test by taking the mobo with cpu and ram out of the case and place it on a box, connect it to the psu and turn the power on. That way you can see if your mobo is still ok.

3. McBastard

McBastard TS Rookie Topic Starter

If it is, how do I go about getting my mobo to actually work inside my computer?

4. young&wild

Well if your mobo is still working, there might be a chance that it was not installed properly into the case.

5. McBastard

Ok, I took the mobo out of the case, did the bench test, once again nothing happened. Does this mean I have to return it?

6. young&wild

Try returning it back to the shop you got the motherboard from.

7. McBastard

Yeah, I'm RMA'ing it back to the dealer and they're going to send me a new one. Thanks for your help!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.