Computer not completing start up process

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittykat871

Hi all, this is my first post, so I hope I give enough info.

My friend's computer (I built it for her from new parts about 2 years ago) is starting up but not completing the start up process.

It is a windows XP Pro and is going through the start up process past the XP and the bars (hope you know what I mean) and then the screen goes blank and stays there.

I have tried several things, had her go into BIOS, etc, and all the temps and fans look OK and working.

My suspicion (after reading some other posts) is that a part of her hard drive has an error and that it is likely that even formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows wont work as the hard drive will still be faulty. She wants to try and salvage some of the stuff off her hard drive anyway, she has been putting off her back up and now it is too late!!!

It is an IDE hard drive, so my problem would be that if we replace the hard drive with another IDE hard drive, and it ISNT the hard drive, then she will then have to buy another hard drive if we have to build another system with a new motherboard as it would now be SATA.

I dont have any IDE hard drives here to try as all 4 of my computers are SATA, although I may be able to get hold of one to try if anyone thinks this will make a difference.

Thanks for all of your advice... Hopefully I will get better, the more IT courses that I do...

Katrina

Well at this stage it's unknown if it's the HardDisk itself (probably not)

But before proceeding with any fix. You are best to backup first!

How, when it doesn't start?

There are two options:

1. Start in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 at Windows startup)
Then just use a Flash Drive or burn the data to CD\DVD

2. Remove the HardDrive, and plug it into another computer (as a secondary drive) I usually put them in place to any existing IDE CD\DVD Drive
Then use My Computer, to copy information across

By the way, what size HardDrive is this?

from memory it would be an 80gb hard drive. It is only a very basic system.

What makes you think that it isnt the hard drive?

(still learning and there is only one way to do that, I really appreciate any help I can get)

Katrina

Awesome, thank you so very much for your assistance. I am going to get the files off it first and then have a play with it and see what I can do.

As it stands, she still wants to go the new system, as she thinks that hers is way too slow (has done for a while), but if I can get her data off she will be happy. And I will be happy because I will have an IDE system here to help with my learning processes and my IT courses.

:grinthumb, please give us updates as you go along (this may take days I understand)

I read every post. So if you reply one day, it will be read, and answered if required

What do I study to get good at this stuff?

HI, hope you dont mind me asking these questions.

I was wondering where you are. Reason being, that I am wondering what courses I should do.

I am told that I am good with computers, I am able to buy the parts and put them together and install windows and other programs without a problem, but when it comes to repairing, I get stuck.

I am about to embark on Diploma Information Technology (System Administrator), then do diplomas in Networking, Web Design and Programming, but none of this will really tell me about what I am doing with this present system fix.

I am in Sydney Australia and am currently studying online subjects as I am a single mum to 4 primary school aged children. Hopefully in a couple of years I will be able to attend a college to study. Is it microcomputing that I need to do? How did you learn?

Thanks
Katrina

I am a single mum to 4 primary school aged children
How ironic (speak later)
I'll speak in PM when you get enough posts

Just read these forums for loads of fixes, and how support operates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back