TechSpot

Computer not reading graphics card

By Tuna450
Apr 27, 2009
  1. Hello all! This problem started up two days ago. I attempted to boot up my Medieval Two Total War Kingdoms expansion pack. It successfully got to the menu, but whenever I attempted to enter a 3D battle screen, it CTDs. Now, I have had this problem before but only for M2, and I assumed it was just Vista acting up again.

However, I have tried opening both World in Conflict and Red Alert 3 and both of these games CTD before they even reach the menu. World in Conflict tells me that a 3D "graphics card" or something along those lines cannot be read. This seemed to indicate to me that something is wrong with the graphics card or PC itself, not the games.

The only one that still works is Warcraft III; every other game will CTD either in a 3D battle or at the menu. Warcraft III is the only older game I have tried running, all the games that CTD are recent and fairly graphics-intensive, if that helps at all.

Any help really appreciated, thanks! :)

2. Tuna450

Tuna450 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Anybody? I really need some help here! :p

3. ZaUcY

ZaUcY TS Rookie Posts: 72

im sure you have already looked into this, but have you tried updating your video drivers or MAKING SURE you have the correct ones? or possibly there are old drivers still installed causing your new ones to conflict.

4. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

Do you even have a graphics card in your system? Warcraft III will run off of onboard integrated video but the rest need a card with properly installed drivers. Most PC's don't come with video cards although that's changing.

5. Tuna450

Tuna450 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I do indeed have a graphics card, it's an ATI 1350/1550, I believe. I did try updating the drivers but that didn't seem to work.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.