Computer not seeing Ext HD anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurams

My external HD will not show up anywhere on the computer. I took it out of the case and installed as a second HD on another computer, it works fine. The USB is working, I've plugged other things in. The services.mcs, I have set logicals to automatic. It doesn't show under device mgmt or my computer. I thought maybe ext case was bad and bought a new one. I have used several different USB cables. I keep getting the balloon, new hardware found, problem with installation. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Did the drive come with any drivers on a disk or something? I know that when you install a new internal drive, it will show in the BIOS, but then you need to install drivers for it when Windows starts - in my computer, the device may not be listed until you do so.

No, the new case didn't have any new drivers. The HD came out of another ext case. When I hook it up as a slave on another computer it works, when I put it back in the case and connect thru USB, it doesn't work. I even went and bought a new case thinking maybe the case was bad.

either something is wrong with the case's usb part or do you use an external power supply for the ext. case? does the disk inside spin when you turn on the ext device? is there a switch to turn it on?

Yeah, the power is on and I can hear it spinning. There is a switch and it is turned on. This is weird!!

it weird indeed. you could try this:

go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager
remove everything from "universal serial bus controllers"

you might do this with a non usb keyboard or mouse because they will not work then as well. windows will ask you to reboot I think. do it and let it install the devices again. try the ext, hdd again when windows is ready

I went and removed everything from the USB controllers. I had to reinstall the printer, and everything is back to normal, well not normal, they're just like they were. Not seeing the Ext HD anywhere. I am going to go get my other HD and put it in the case just to see if it's possibly the HD. The HD works being a slave insyide the computer but not in the case hooked to USB. And like I said, I went and bought a new case thinking it may be the case. Any other ideas? Also the HD I can't tell what it is, Maxtor, etc., there is nothing on except the size and CE and the picture on jumpers.

the bios would show you what hdd it is if you install it as a slave. well do you see an unrecognized drive if you go to "control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management"?

well I am sorry but if this usb device doesn't work on other computers as well and there are really no drivers for it? searched internet? vendor site?
I guess the ide/usb converter thing is broken then!?

I have known there to be a setting in the bios regarding enabling USB devices which are an extention of just mouse/keyboard. Have a look. Another thing is go to the motherboard manufactureres page and download the latest bios update for the board.

Incidentally, you do not mention the operating system - it is XP is it not? Also it can be important to tell us the size of the external HD. Older PC's may not support larger HDs at all. More info please. The fact that you get a message at all when the HDD is connected tells me a driver issue is involved or similar. For instance every XP machine will recognise a USB flash card, but every Win98 PC will need a driver. It suggests to me your PC is one that WILL require a driver for this HDD where other peoples (more recent perhaps) will not. You have been asked to check what the bios says about it when plugged in - is it listed or are other devices marked disabled? Untill the bios sees it you may get nowhere.

I don't think that the size matters this time because the disk works as a slave drive inside the computer. plus a usb hdd does not always show up in the bios. my dell desktops would not show them while they work in windows.... but ok, it is something to check - do it.
the driver thing is probably the best way...

The Bios does not change with it plugged in or not. And yes, I apologize, I am running XP with a 1 yr old Compact. The size of the ext HD is 300 gig. I am going to search for drivers and see what happens. I appreciate all the help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back