Computer not starting up properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and today I unplugged my computer to move it. When I replugged it in, it wouldn't start up, but after awhile it started turning on and off. I tried unplugging it and plugging it elsewhere, but I don't know what else to do to get it to work properly again.

Any suggestions?

The Dell 2400 is quite old by today's standards... and hard drives are failing frequently now. I would suspect the hard drive couldn't tolerate the vibration, jiggling, and impact of the move.
However, since it is a problem connected to a move, I would remove the case cover to unplug and reseat each cable... hard drive, optical drive, power supply, motherboard. Use a little compressed gas such as dust-off to clean out the cpu fan, then (while using rubber gloves or plastic bags) remove and reseat all the memory modules to assure they are plugged in firmly.

In anything you do, use a lot of patience. Older components become brittle and crack easily, requiring replacement.

Then get back to us for more useless advice.

look at the capacitors. If they're buldging, then the mobos shot.
Your PSU could have failed too.

old systems break easy.

Dell 2400 capacitors seldom fail, and when they do, we don't see those symptoms. Since this occurred during a move, I don't think capacitors are the main suspect. Memory, hard drive, cpu fan, and heat sink are common problems with that computer that will instigate repeated starts and failures. We service hundreds of them. A common problem in a move is that a mild lateral impact will break the plastic supports used as hold-downs for the heat-sink and cpu fan. Replacements are available at Cyberguys for about $5.00 plus shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back