Computer only beeps on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with something I haven't tried. I recently replaced the heatsink on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor and now when I turn the computer on, it only beeps. The beeping is continuous and lasts about 1-2 seconds. I researched on here and changed out the memory and video card, but nothing works. Anyone got anymore ideas? Anything would be great!

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Did you clean off the old thermal paste from your cpu?

Did you use thermal paste when you attached the new heatsink, and is it on the right way round.

The beeps you are getting might be because the heatsink isn`t on properly.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes, I had removed all the thermal grease from before, but I will try reseating it again. I wasn't sure if that might be what was causing it. Just to make sure, I got a Antec CPU Cooler for a Socket A, this should work right?

Thanks for responding so fast!

~D

Okay, after trying this for the fifth time, it's still beeping at me. Can you give me some hints to putting it on correctly? I thought I was following the directions to the letter... :(

Thanks,

~D

Take a look at this guide HERE Note, you only need to use a very small amount of thermal paste.

You might also want to take a look at this Beep code list. Provided you know what bios you`re mobo uses(should be in your mobo manual) it might help you to identify the problem.

Regards Howard :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back