TechSpot

Computer only boots up sometimes, power light on if it doesn't

By overview5
Dec 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,
    I would greatly appreciate help with my problem. My PC, an Acer Aspire AM5641-U5630A with Windows Vista, only starts up sometimes. When I press the power button, the blue power light comes on and the fans start sounding. However, after it quiets down there is no beeping noises and a display does not come on. On times in which the computer does turn on, a beeping noise is heard and an Acer logo display comes on before it proceeds to start up like normal. Once I'm past the Acer logo the computer works fine. It seems to be random as to when it powers up but I have tried an upwards of 20 restarts before.

Thanks,
    overview5

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

This is most likely caused by a weak or failing power supply. Open up the case and make sure that the fans are running and everything is free of heavy dust and other debris...

3. overview5

overview5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for responding. A bad PSU did cross my mind, however I wanted someone real tech savvy to confirm my thoughts. Is there any other reason which would cause this problem that I should know before I go out and buy a new PSU?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

I didn't think you wanted to replace the motherboard...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.