Computer p4 with xp pro keeps hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkroks

Here is my situation:
- I run a P4 1.7Ghz, 512Mb Sdram, 3x40gb Hdds (120total), nVidia Geforce 2 Mx 400 64mb, Realtek network card, cd-rw, floppy, .....

- I have a constant connection to the internet through my lan, through a router and then through radio link.

- I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002. (No service packs at present but even with packs 1 and 2 I still have the problem)

Problem:
- my pc keeps hanging, about every few hours or so. I don't understand why its doing this. I think that it may be linked to Azureus the bittorrent client as well as Java (2.0 platform standard edition v5.). Before i installed Java and Azureus there was no problem with freezing and hanging. I have uninstalled the programs and hopefully it will stop hanging, but if not, your help will probably help solve the problem.

Here are some of my ideas.
- I think that it could be linked to a bug in java and or azureus OR
- There may be a persistant hacker trying to access my system (I have decided to download BlackIce Desktop Protection v3.6 in case this is the problem) OR
- I am not sure but could it be spyware? I have downloaded Ad-Aware SE Personal in case its this and will install it shortly and scan the system.

I may fix the problems with the above ideas but please post back in case i need extra help. It is really annoying having to restart every so often and start my work again. thanks in advance for the help

heres where i am at.

I have downloaded the AdAware Professional addition antispyware program and the updates for the definitions. I scanned the system and found about 20 spyware things. nothing major i don't think. there was a couple of instances of ciara and of some tracker miner items that collect info. as i don't have any important private info on this machine i not too worried.

After uninstalling the Java Platform and Azureus I have found that the system has been very stable. until now.... and i hope that it stays that way.

Can anyone give a possible reason as to why those programs may have caused a problem with my pc?

I have also managed to get BlackIce v3.6 for PC Protection. Does anyone know if I have to set permissions for certain programs to use the internet/network or not?

azerus says you? that app could easily cause a hang, what with the virtual drives and all. check your device manager for any reamining drives/devices, and remove them.

I am having the same problem at the moment - I wanted to believe it was the display card - which is precisely the card your using! However my main boot drive will not defrag properly using system mechanic - which may indicate a disc error. I'm going to chkdsk /f to see if that resolves the problem. Also thought it may be a heat dissapation issue but M, CPU all running cool. It is hugely annoying as I've never had this happen before - I still think it is a display adaptor problem - I may swap it, but I'm not a gamer and not sure how much I'm going to benefit from the extra megs.

Keep us posted, I want to rule out your display adapator - I'm SP2 and all my system checks seem okay spyware, mal etc.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back