TechSpot

Computer POST troubles

By ubergeek.iceman
May 20, 2006
  1. So here's a noodle scratcher for ya.

I'm building a new computer for my folks. Now, I've built my fare share of computers, so I know what I'm doing to a degree.

So I get everything in and settled, I turn the computer on, and I get a screen with some radeon junk on it, and then nothing. So I figure there's something goin on with the bios, and I switch some jumpers. Next time I boot, I get through the POST and everything's fine. Now, at this point, I need to enter the BIOS to change some boot priorities (need to install an OS off cd). I change what I need, save and exit, the computer reboots, and I'm back to a blank screen.

I'm scratching my head, thinking the worst has happened to my computer, so I take out all the PCI cards, optical drives, etc.. Still nohing. Reset Jumpers. Computer POSTs, reboots, and nothing again. What on earth could be hapenning? I figure something is being shorted somwhere. Any help would be appreciated.

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

post the system spec's. what jumpers did you set on the board and why? I have not seen a board that neded any jumpers configured in a long time. Also does this mobo use onboard video? if it does did you make sure that the bios setting is for onboard video?

3. ubergeek.iceman

ubergeek.iceman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here's the specs

Intel P4 Prescott @ 2.66gHz
    ECS RS400-A ATX Socket T Mobo
    WINTEC AMPO 1GB 184 pin DDR 400 SDRAM
    eVGA Geforce 6200TC 256-TC-2N25 (Not plugged in right now)

The only jumpers I switched around were to clear the CMOS.

4. Mr Papschmere

Mr Papschmere TS Rookie Posts: 55

Double check that nothing is shorting the back of the board - it's easy to put one of the brass risers in the wrong place!

Also, check the Front Panel connectors are in the right place - that caught me out big time once.

Are you using 1 stick of ram, or 2x512? Some boards wont POST unless they are in the right slots, generally 1 +2 OR 1 + 3, depending on chipset

5. ubergeek.iceman

It seems that in my haste to enter setup I failed to realize I have a faulty CMOS battery. Perhaps this has something to do with it...

6. ubergeek.iceman

Quick update: The swapping in of a fresh battery did nothing, I'm still encountering the same problem. reseating My 1GB stick did nothing. I rechecked my front panel connectors, all seem to be fine. I'm checking my risers now, but I'm certain I installed them correctly. Is it possible that not having enough risers could do it? (I'm one short...)

It's just so weird that I can get the thing to POST once, but after rebooting it freezes up...

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

it is very likely the ram you're using is incompatible with your motherboard or you have a faulty psu, or something isn't connected right.

Also you may have a standoff shorting the board out.

remove the mobo from the case and break it down to the basics, video card, ram, and psu.
    reboot.

ensure the removed motherboard is on a non-conductive surface like a flattened cardboard box.
    ground yourself at all times.

8. ubergeek.iceman

After a little bit of reasearch, it seems that my bios doesn't support the 506 prescott cpu I have. I'm going to try booting to a live OS and updating the bios to see if that helps.

9. ubergeek.iceman

I've really messed things up now. So, I boot up without my vidcard in, and I get a blank screen. No more radeon junk, just a blank screen.

When I put the vid card back in I get an ominous Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 screen.

I've been following instructions on making a boot disk with the bios flashing utilities on it, but I'm having no luck at all. Any advice?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.