Computer POST troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's a noodle scratcher for ya.

I'm building a new computer for my folks. Now, I've built my fare share of computers, so I know what I'm doing to a degree.

So I get everything in and settled, I turn the computer on, and I get a screen with some radeon junk on it, and then nothing. So I figure there's something goin on with the bios, and I switch some jumpers. Next time I boot, I get through the POST and everything's fine. Now, at this point, I need to enter the BIOS to change some boot priorities (need to install an OS off cd). I change what I need, save and exit, the computer reboots, and I'm back to a blank screen.

I'm scratching my head, thinking the worst has happened to my computer, so I take out all the PCI cards, optical drives, etc.. Still nohing. Reset Jumpers. Computer POSTs, reboots, and nothing again. What on earth could be hapenning? I figure something is being shorted somwhere. Any help would be appreciated.

post the system spec's. what jumpers did you set on the board and why? I have not seen a board that neded any jumpers configured in a long time. Also does this mobo use onboard video? if it does did you make sure that the bios setting is for onboard video?

Here's the specs

Intel P4 Prescott @ 2.66gHz
ECS RS400-A ATX Socket T Mobo
WINTEC AMPO 1GB 184 pin DDR 400 SDRAM
eVGA Geforce 6200TC 256-TC-2N25 (Not plugged in right now)

The only jumpers I switched around were to clear the CMOS.

Double check that nothing is shorting the back of the board - it's easy to put one of the brass risers in the wrong place!

Also, check the Front Panel connectors are in the right place - that caught me out big time once.

Are you using 1 stick of ram, or 2x512? Some boards wont POST unless they are in the right slots, generally 1 +2 OR 1 + 3, depending on chipset

Quick update: The swapping in of a fresh battery did nothing, I'm still encountering the same problem. reseating My 1GB stick did nothing. I rechecked my front panel connectors, all seem to be fine. I'm checking my risers now, but I'm certain I installed them correctly. Is it possible that not having enough risers could do it? (I'm one short...)

It's just so weird that I can get the thing to POST once, but after rebooting it freezes up...

it is very likely the ram you're using is incompatible with your motherboard or you have a faulty psu, or something isn't connected right.

Also you may have a standoff shorting the board out.

remove the mobo from the case and break it down to the basics, video card, ram, and psu.
reboot.

ensure the removed motherboard is on a non-conductive surface like a flattened cardboard box.
ground yourself at all times.

After a little bit of reasearch, it seems that my bios doesn't support the 506 prescott cpu I have. I'm going to try booting to a live OS and updating the bios to see if that helps.

I've really messed things up now. So, I boot up without my vidcard in, and I get a blank screen. No more radeon junk, just a blank screen.

When I put the vid card back in I get an ominous Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 screen.

I've been following instructions on making a boot disk with the bios flashing utilities on it, but I'm having no luck at all. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back