Computer power problems with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post on this board, i've lurked for a while but haven't been able to find the answer to my question so i figured i would join. So here it is:

I've got a friends POS emachine. When she gave it to me, she said that the computer powered off normally one day, but the power supply and LED light on the front wouldn't turn off. She doesn't have a switch on the power supply so she turned off her power bar. When she turned the power bar back on, the power supply fan spins, and the LED light comes on, but the computer wouldn't start.

So I started in the first logical place, tried a new power supply. Plugged it in, everything worked fine and the computer booted up. Had a drink and said I was a genious :) Powered the computer down the power supply and LED light wouldn't shut off, and it sounded like the hard drive was spinning too. Hit the power button on the front of the computer but it wouldn't turn off or on. So i switched the power switch on the back and it all turned off. Switched the power switch back on and the computer booted up just fine. Power down and the problem repeats.

What the heck is going on?

its a bit technical so i would advise you to go and see an electrician qualified in digital electronics.However what you can do for now is to reset the Cmos. if it doesn't work out, that means that you computer uses the standby mode it won't go off.for now blow dust out and make sure you reset you cmos. That will help.R

I reset the CMOS and pulled the battery.

Booted the computer up and once again all worked fine.

Turned the computer off (start---shutdown) and everything powered down except the new power supply and the LED light on the front

any other suggestions

I`m certain you will find an answer here HERE

Scroll down to "Powerdown issues".It may be something to do with the Legacy Power Node - don`t laugh.It worked for me :haha:

HPCE_Larry said:
i'd take it to a certified computer shop.

we're not much a tech site if we all take our computers to the shop. lol Since she gave me her computer, she went out and bought a newer none POS computer so i'm just playing around with this one now. Not a fan of unsolved mysteries

It's obviously not the motherboard if the computer turns on correct. You can't have a fried motherboard and still have the computer turn on normally can you?
There were no hardware changes made to the computer this just started happening one day. Could it be more software related?

Suggestions?

Well,that page I linked to is the most comprehensive collection of shutdown fixes and powerdown fixes,I`ve seen.

You have checked all the Power Options and settings in Windows ? Try setting the BIOS to it`s defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back