Computer powers down after boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

trithumb

the metal conductors that keep the mobo off the case... i screwed several in... some of them didnt have a hole for a screw so its just against the board... could this be causing that problem? grounding the mother board 2 the case? i just thought of it while i was sitting here in college and i have not gotten to test my thoughts.... possible or no?

YES they will cause shorting to the case. Only install standoffs where there are screw holes in the motherboard. A standard ATX motherboard has 5 or 6 mounting holes. This goes for miniATX boards too

The CPU could be damaged by motherboard shorting to case. You will have to try another CPU. If it still fails to turn on, the motherboard is fried

yes - you have a short to ground. And this could damage your system. Spend the extra 99 cents and buy plastic standoffs for your motherboard at your local computer store.

Tedster,
I haven't used plastic standoffs since the first ATX hardware came out. If a metal (Brass) standoff doesn't match the motherboards mounting holes, I simply leave it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back